1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Alfalfa okay ??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BigBirdHatcher, Nov 25, 2011.

1. BigBirdHatcher

BigBirdHatcher Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2011
    Odessa
    Im in the desert now and there isnt any greens to feed my chickens. But I have some alfalfa hay, will it be alright to give it to them ??
    Would it be benifitial for them to have it ??
    And I was also wondering if it could get stuck in their craw and cause harm ??
    Ive never had to suplement for grass before. [​IMG]

2. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

I keep alfalfa out for mine all the time. Either hay, which I put in the coop for them to scratch and use as bedding after they eat the leaves, or pellets, which I soak and they clean up completely. I feel it's a really great and economic source of protein and nutrients, plus keeps the egg yolks nice and orange even when green weeds and grasses aren't available.

3. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I have read that the horse alfalfa pellets when soaked are good for hens. I do not use any hay. My only outbreak of bugs was from hay. My chickens sneezed with it too. I planted part of my run with alfalfa this spring. Wow, they loved it fresh and wiped it out in no time. Gloria Jean

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I toss flakes of alfalfa in the run all winter long.

5. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    I bought some pellets to be soaked after reading about it here on BYC. Haven't tried it yet since the grass is still green but hope they enjoy it once winter sets in. I'll also be doing some sprouting...still experimenting with it though.

6. Arkantex

Arkantex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    West Texas
    Well this is good to know. I live out in west texas and we don't have any grass either! Alfalfa hay is readily available though.

7. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Your chickens won't think it's okay. They'll think it's FABULOUS! [​IMG]

8. BigBirdHatcher

Nov 13, 2011
    Odessa
    Thanks folks I appreciate yalls comments.
    I put a little in ther and they pecked the leave off of it just as i expected they would.
    I work at a big hay yard in Odessa so I have scrap alfalfa that comes off the rolls for free [​IMG]
    Ive also gave them some Milo because it has some seeds in it and i see the wild birds eating at it all of the time so i figured the chickens would eat some of it and use the rest for bedding.
    Im so excited to finally have my chickens back !![​IMG]

9. BigBirdHatcher

Nov 13, 2011
    Odessa
    Well this is good to know. I live out in west texas and we don't have any grass either! Alfalfa hay is readily available though.

Where abouts do you live at ??​

10. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm PA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    Ran low on feed last week. The kids fed for two days and forgot to tell dad we were low. Had to run to WalMart for milk and bought two 25# bags of rabbit pellets. Came to about $16 for 50#. It is alfalfa based. Nothing in it that would harm the birds. Brands do differ.

Years ago my Dad and I took a 20' trailer oload of alfalfa hay to a mill. Dad had it mixed with corn, oats etc and made into a chicken size pellet. We fed it to teh chickens, rabbits, goats, cattle and horses. The dogs did not like it. But we did try. Kept the feed dry and it lasted two years. Thinking of looking for some alfalfa and a mill......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by