Alfalfa Pelets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Bryceeast, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Bryceeast

Bryceeast Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2010
    Chicken Run
    Can my girls eat alfalfa pelets as treats not for a full meal just for a treat or is it bad for them?!?!?!?

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Well....mine wouldn't consider them a treat but, if yours does, that is great! No, it won't hurt them. I add alfalfa pellets to my feed mix in the winter so the gals will still have greens. They are extremely cheap and are no mess. They do mold easily, so be careful if you are storing a large amount.

3. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    what about kelp meal for greens?

4. Bryceeast

Bryceeast Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2010
    Chicken Run
    I do not know what those are can you expand? And thanks for the information!

5. Beekissed

It's great....it's also a $1 a pound. Alfalfa I can get for $6 per 50 lb.

6. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    Quote:i am not sure what kelp meal is....kelp is an ocean growing plant. Some one recommended that I feed it,. I've not seen it or used it sorry

7. shaft0463

shaft0463 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    I feed a mix of alfalfa pellets, corn, sunflower seeds, rice bran, bird seed, and cat food, all ground together in the blender. My layers won't touch alfalfa pellets unless ground with other yummy stuff. Just don't add oats to the blender if you try it. Oats seem to kill blenders.

The meat chickens will eat alfalfa pellets soaked with seeds and such mixed in. Just the layers who won't touch it.

Do be careful feeding the pellets whole though. They absorb a lot of moisture, usually about 3x their volume in water. Make sure they have plenty of water so the chickens don't get impacted or anything.

8. Beekissed

Quote:Kelp meal is dried and ground up kelp plant. It sort of looks like dried tea leaves, only it is dark green and a little heavier in consistency. I feed it to my bigger livestock as a mineral supplement. The chickens love the taste and would gobble it all if I let them. It has great properties that maintain good mineral and vitamin balance...smells a little fishy, though.

Good for roses and other garden plants and flowers, but a bit pricey.

9. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    Where do you buy things like alfalfa pellets, rice bran and the other things mentioned?
    I am a city girl and new to chickens.

10. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    Has anyone tried wet beet pellets, our horse loves them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by