1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Alfalfa pellets for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by best-nestin', Feb 27, 2009.

1. best-nestin'

best-nestin' Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2009
    I am a newbie to the whole chicken thing, and so this maybe a stupid question. I was able to purchase some alfalfa pellets for an EXTREMELY cheap price. I was wondering if I can feed that to my chickens mixed in with the regular laying pellets that I currently feed them? I would like to be able to get the cheaper feed( which only has 12% protein) and supplement with the alfalfa pellets, because they are high in protein. Can I do that?

2. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    I have a pet rabbit and I usually throw out a large cup of alfalfa pellets for the chickens to scratch at while locked in the run. I havent had any problems. I dont know about long term use combined with feed. But its an interesting question, hope someone can give you a better answer.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  3. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    anytime i soak the horses pellet in water (they swell) i throw a handful at the chickens and they LOVE it... dont know about feeding them the pellet with the layer tho??? dont see why not???, as long as it is not too much

4. best-nestin'

best-nestin' Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2009
    sandypaws wrote
    as long as it is not too much

How much is too much? Don't we want them to get as much protein as possible?​

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I give it to all of my chickens and waterfowl. I just use it as a supplement on top of the food.

6. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    i am by NO means an xpert... but if i personally was going to feed it i would say NO more than 1/4 % ... 3 scoops lay crumble 1 scoop alfalf. pellets... just because it is not formulated FOR chickens,, it is formulated for grazers

anybody else????

7. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    It looks to me like alfalfa pellets are 15-20% protein. My layer pellets are 16% protein and I can get gamebird pellets at 20% protein.

If I got the alfalfa really cheap I might use it. However, it appears that it is not that much higher in protein than layer pellets. But if you want to increase protein I would go with gamebird pellets.

Maybe someone could look on a bag of the alfalfa pellets and see if there is a nutritional analysis listing protein content.

8. bantyman

bantyman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Blue Ridge GA
    Hey all [​IMG]
    Do you soak the alfalfa pelletts or just give them dry?

Mike [​IMG]

9. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    and make sure you have free choice oystershell so they have plenty of calcium for making their eggshells. The alfalfa pellets would possibly drop their mineral content they need for egg production.

10. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I just feed them dry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by