Alfalfa pellets...soaked in water? Okay to feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Wynette, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I typically have alfalfa pellets that I feed to my horses - these are larger in diameter than a rabbit alfalfa pellet. I was wondering if those would be okay to feed as a treat if I soak them in water first? I found a couple of older strings on rabbit pellets, but nothing on horse alfalfa pellets. Here I thought alfalfa pellets were alfalfa pellets! Maybe not?

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I've fed my chickens some safe 'n sound horse feed, the pellets look like alfalfa pellets just slightly smaller. They gobbled it up with no side-effects. [​IMG]

3. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Did you soak them first?

4. Cuban Longtails

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Nope, sure didn't.

5. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Thanks! I've always got horse sweet feed on hand...that would probably make a nice snack, too.

6. Cuban Longtails

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Bet it would too! [​IMG] Heck, there are times I'd like to try it myself. [​IMG]

7. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I've got an old-timer horse (he turned 20 this year) whose on senior feed now, and I have to admit, that stuff smells WONDERFUL!

8. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    We feed our goats alfalfa pellets (because they waste hay like MAD). The goats are housed with the chickens...so the chickens chow on them too with no ill effect. No soaking - they don't blow up like, say, a beet pulp pellet would.

9. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Interesting! How big are the goat pellets in diameter? Like the size of rabbit alfa pellets? The ones I get for the horses are bigger. Like maybe as big around as a pencil. Wish I was home, I'd get a pic of a handful! So the goats & chickens apparently get along well - that's neat!

10. Mulemom

Mulemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    We feed our horse and mules pellets. they are too big for the chickens to start with, but the horse always throws a bunch of it on the ground then steps all over it and breaks it up. As soon as i let the chickens out to free range they head straight for Buck's dinner spot. They will stand under him while he eats and pick up the leftovers. The eat the "recycled" pellets too [​IMG]. No problems with the pellets from either end!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by