Alfalfa pellets

BBQJOE

Songster
Sep 25, 2015
Void where prohibited.
My breeder insisted that alfalfa was essential part of a good diet.
My birds hate it.
I've tried mixing it into their wet mash, and they can almost eat around it, leaving most of it behind.

Any ideas what I can top it or mix it with to get them to at least finish this huge bag?

Eh, I don't see it as an essential part of the diet - since your birds are not inclined to eat it and are doing just fine without it I would suggest finding someone around you with animals that do like alfalfa pellets to give/sell the rest of the bag to. If you really want them to consume alfalfa it can be more enticing in the stem form either from actual bales or the chopped stem form of alfalfa cubes (a light soak breaks up the extreme compression of the cube form without yielding mush.

Mine never cared for the pellets, either. They'll eat alfalfa as hay, eating the leaves and leaving the stems. but the pellets, like you said, they just picked around it. I agree wetting it down might make them like it more, I never tried that. You can try that, or gift the bag of pellets to someone else. Or start keeping another animal that eats pellets
smile.png

Great idea!!! I think I'll go buy a horse just to use up this 50 lb bag of alfalfa pellets!
gig.gif
Well, around here the bag of pellets is probably worth more than an lot of the horses are......

I was thinking more like rabbits or something like that, but whatever floats your boat. I've got a big spotted one-eyed mare that's getting on my nerves, I'll gladly bring her over to finish off that bag of pellets. I'll come back and pick her up in say, 2020?

Back
Top Bottom