alfalfa pellets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nelgkel, Sep 25, 2010.

1. nelgkel

nelgkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    OUr chickens are in a permanent run and we want to supplement their greens, we do grass clippings and alfalfa hay sometimes too...
    bought horse alfalfa pellets and ground them so I can mix it in with their feed...also give BOSS and lots of treats...

anyone else use alfalfa pellets to improve yolk color?

thanks!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I just recently bought some alfalfa meal at my feed store. Do they not have meal at yours?

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I use to you the pellets but when I fed it to the chickens I use to just soak it till is broke up then I would mix it in there feed...

Weather you use Meal or Pellet you should wet it so that it sticks to the feed, some birds will just pick around it if you dont...

Chris

4. nelgkel

nelgkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    I have not been able to find alfalfa meal as of yet, but will continue to look. Thanks for the advice to wet it...my chickens seem to like it...they eat it off the ground when I dump some out for them...

would you just wet it then and not grind it?

I would LOVE to find Kelp but have not been able to find it yet.

THANKS!!!!

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:For Alfalfa Meal Check Feed Mills around you that mix there own feed, most of them have it in stock or they will be able to get it for you..
    Places like TSC or "Farm Stores" wont carry the Meal...

I know the Mills around here use it in the Hog feed and Layer feed that they mix on site..

Chris

6. tn.lou

tn.lou Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2008
    Dandridge,Tennessee
    Quote:I use to you the pellets but when I fed it to the chickens I use to just soak it till is broke up then I would mix it in there feed...

Weather you use Meal or Pellet you should wet it so that it sticks to the feed, some birds will just pick around it if you dont...

Chris

I also buy alfalfa pellets and soak them for about 30 min.before mixing with other feed.Feed store has meal but I like the pellets because of dust and I was wetting my feed before anyways.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by