Alfalfa Pellets?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dawny2u2, Nov 22, 2010.

1. dawny2u2

dawny2u2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Winston, MT
    A friend gave me some alfalfa pellets, from a rabbit who died. Before I feed them to the flock, thought I would check and see if they are okay?

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    If they are straight alfalfa pellets they'll be OK. I feed them to my birds. They won't eat a lot of them at any one time, but they will eat them. I mix mine into their grain feeder, about a half part to four or five parts grain.

3. dawny2u2

Sep 7, 2009
    Winston, MT
    Good enough. Thanks, will mix them in and maybe my chickens will look like your rooster.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    None of my birds will touch them. They pick them out and leave them on the ground. I figured with 29 birds (of various types) I would find at least a few that would eat them, but no... never happened.

5. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

I make a mash for my chickens each morning with Alfalfa pellets...these are not Rabbit Pellets with added minerals, etc. I cover the alfalfa pellets, Flock Raiser, Crushed Red Pepper with hot water and let absorb. Then add yogurt or buttermilk, cooked pinto beans or blackeyed peas and whatever else I find in the frig.

The alfalfa has helped to keep their yolks a deep yellow/orange.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have never used the pellets. I do give my birds bales of nice green alfalfa in the winter months when the grass stops growing. They pick off the little green leaves until there are nothing but the stems left which I pick up and put in my compost piles.

7. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I bought Alfalfa pellets just so I could have a deeper yellow yolk and the birds picked them right out onto the coop floor uneaten. They were rather big, and rabbit feed is tolerated but also not eaten right up, it's the last to be eaten. I also like giving them Alf. hay in the winter, they love it.

8. dawny2u2

Sep 7, 2009
    Winston, MT
    Lots of great suggestions, but I gotta ask...crushed red pepper?

9. Caseman

Caseman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Yes I mix alfalfa pellets in with my feed. about 30 % protein plus red pepper also .. red pepper keeps them laying..[​IMG]

10. papeine

papeine Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2010
    Hastings
    would alfafa cubes work?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by