Alfalfa pellets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kuntrychick, Nov 22, 2011.

1. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Are the Standlee Hay Company Alfalfa pellets from TSC the right thing? It's in a 50# bag.

How long do I soak them? How much of this do I feed?

What about the water they are soaked in? Any use for that? Add that to a mash to give it more nutritional content.

I'm afraid the 50# bag will go bad before I ever use it all; it's not like I'm feeding a big animal like a horse (even though chickens eat like a horse....or a pig...LOL).

2. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I use those from tsc for the horses. I like the cubes better than pellets because it takes less time to dissolve them.
    However if you are giving them to chickens, pellets may be a better choice because they are ground finer.
    I wet mine with hot water about 20 mins before feeding time, but I know folks who wet them over night.
    It does take quite a bit of water to dissolve them,I usually cover them water and still need to add some sometimes.
    As far as how long 50lbs will stay fresh, I wouls say a very long time if the are keep dry. Also you could look into the small
    bags for rabbits.

3. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Standlee is what my TSC started carrying last year. I have kept them over 6 months, as I use buckets & Gamma2 lids that are airtight. I find the pellets much easier to dissolve than the cubes. My chickens eat them off the ground. I did think Standlee was only 40 lbs., but I don't really remember.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yup, they are the right thing. Very high quality.

About 10 pellets, soaked in an inch of water. They'll swell up and become HUGE. I stir them into flakes, mix 20% alfalfa and 80% layer mash. You should see the yolks!!! Nice,

I figure these pellets will last 3 or 4 months, easy, for my hens. That makes them a bargain, imho.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by