Alfalfa pellets

kuntrychick

Songster
10 Years
Jul 19, 2009
Alabama
Are the Standlee Hay Company Alfalfa pellets from TSC the right thing? It's in a 50# bag.

How long do I soak them? How much of this do I feed?

What about the water they are soaked in? Any use for that? Add that to a mash to give it more nutritional content.

I'm afraid the 50# bag will go bad before I ever use it all; it's not like I'm feeding a big animal like a horse (even though chickens eat like a horse....or a pig...LOL).

I use those from tsc for the horses. I like the cubes better than pellets because it takes less time to dissolve them.
However if you are giving them to chickens, pellets may be a better choice because they are ground finer.
I wet mine with hot water about 20 mins before feeding time, but I know folks who wet them over night.
It does take quite a bit of water to dissolve them,I usually cover them water and still need to add some sometimes.
As far as how long 50lbs will stay fresh, I wouls say a very long time if the are keep dry. Also you could look into the small
bags for rabbits.

Standlee is what my TSC started carrying last year. I have kept them over 6 months, as I use buckets & Gamma2 lids that are airtight. I find the pellets much easier to dissolve than the cubes. My chickens eat them off the ground. I did think Standlee was only 40 lbs., but I don't really remember.

Yup, they are the right thing. Very high quality.

About 10 pellets, soaked in an inch of water. They'll swell up and become HUGE. I stir them into flakes, mix 20% alfalfa and 80% layer mash. You should see the yolks!!! Nice,

I figure these pellets will last 3 or 4 months, easy, for my hens. That makes them a bargain, imho.

Back
Top Bottom