1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Alfalfa

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by moodlymoo, Nov 19, 2011.

1. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    So I read a thread here about giving your chickens alfalfa pellets but was wondering if I could just throw a bale of alfalfa in the coop for them to peck at?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I would think they would love it. My guess it they will prefer the leaves and pretty much leave the stems, but YMMV. I think I'd toss just 4" worth every now and then. Kind of spendy to toss the entire bale, no? Much of it might get trampled, pooped, wet, etc. I dunno.

3. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    This is my plan for the winter, bales of alfalfa in the run. My girls are used to 8 hours of forage a day, so I thought this might tide them over for the 2-3 months where there will be NO grass whatsoever.

4. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    My chicken vet told me that's one of the best things for chickens, he raises chickens himself. He said they'll eat the little flower things and it's excellent for roughage and protein.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by