Alfie the cat

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by PaulaSB12, Sep 22, 2012.

1. PaulaSB12

PaulaSB12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    I got Aflie a 12 year old british blue tom in May, he is now allowed to wander through the house. Well allowed by me but according to Tippytail my black queen his place is under the chair bed in his bedroom. Queenie chases him back, Socks ignores him. Despite all this he doesn't retaliate and is a nice boy. My question is will this pass?????? Will they start letting him be in the rest of the house?

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Likely, but that is not the best way to intro cats.

Like any other animals cats should be introduced slowly if time and space allow.

Google 'cat introductions' I'm sure you will find lots of info.

Good Luck. Give both kittys a good scritch for me.

3. PaulaSB12

Dec 6, 2010
    He has been introduced to the others over a period of 5 months its only in the last few days that he has had the door opened all the time. I thought 5 months was long enough.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You could also try increasing your play time with the established ones --and with the tom, too, if he comes out. Also, some cats will socialize better if they have high places to rest and watch what is going on -- of course I don't know what your setup is, you may already have this.

5. PaulaSB12

Dec 6, 2010
    I will try and sit in the room when they are together with some nice cat biscuits as bribes. Or maybe get one of the big chickens in the room as they ALL hate the chickens. They have never harmed the chickens, the chickens on the other hand have found pecking bums and tails to be amusing. First time I let Alfie in the cat run he managed to slip past me and escape, he was heading to a fence to go over when he was suddenly surrounded by chickens he then came to me and asked to be let back in the cat run. So chickens safe from cats cats not safe from chickens.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by