Algae killer in water system

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Cryptkeeper, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Cryptkeeper

Cryptkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Has anyone here ever tried putting algae killer for aquariums in their water systems to stop algae? I didn't have too much of a problem with algae until i put in ACV, then the problem seemed to multiply. Looking for advice?.?.?.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I personally would not add a algae killing chemical to a water system

3. ChickenJerk

ChickenJerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Algae needs three things to grow, water being the most elemental but elimination is not practical in this case. Duh.

The other two are light and nutrients. Eliminate just one of them and the algae problem goes away.

It is possible that the acid you introduced via the vinegar changed the pH just enough to make the nutrients more available. Why not stop using it?

If you are using rainwater from a roof it will all be an uphill battle due to the nutrients it inevitably contains.

Chemical control of planktonic algae in drinking water is a very dicey thing. It even scares water chemistry experts working in the poultry industry.

4. Cryptkeeper

Cryptkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I have stopped with the ACV to see if things go back to normal. I do not use rain water as San Diego does not get enough rain to keep the barrel filled, I use regular tap water provided by the city.......
    Thanks for weighing in on this for me

5. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Any chance your water is starting out with a high PH (alkaline)? If so then the ACV would only drop it to a normal level of PH. One of the points of ACV is to drop PH of the water making it more acidic. Pet shops carry cheap PH testers for aquariums. Should only cost about $5 as I recall.

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    The Algae is feeding off the "Mother" in the ACV.

Chris

7. WalkingWolf1

WalkingWolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Vermilion
    Interesting -- Would you expand on this?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by