Algae

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PekinPrincess03, Aug 14, 2013.

1. PekinPrincess03

PekinPrincess03 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2012
    I have three duck pools and they all manage to get nasty with this dark green algae and I clean them frequently with a sponge and water but it is not getting the real stuck on stuff. I would like to find something I can use around them and on the pool that will not harm them or the animals around. I heard about this barley straw pellets, but some people say it works while others don't. Before I spend my money I would like to know if it is worth it or is there something else that is safe that would work better?

2. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I just scrub mine with a stiff bristled scrub brush.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Scrubbies work. Brushes work. I think you can get a barley straw pad that floats, it may be worth a try.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    You need a bucket brush but i will also add the algae is all cosmetic concern, unless it's real bad(which clearly it's not if your cleaning the pools) does it become an issue, you seen some ponds that ducks occupy? lol

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  5. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    We have 2 large kiddie pools and during these summer months we drain and clean twice a weak we use dawn antibacterial and scrub brush it gets them pretty clean and I feel its safer than some chemicals. Winter months once a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by