alice's lampshade tail

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by buffbuttercup, May 25, 2010.

1. buffbuttercup

buffbuttercup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Oregon
    her baby feathers are coming out in a very funny way! these little remnants make her look very frilly.
    also, i got her out of a bin labeled 'aracaunas' and i've been reading here that they are somewhat rare? is she more likely an americauna? and what is her coloring called? she has olive green feet with brighter green soles. she is turning out to be a very pretty lady.
    thanx for looking!

[​IMG]

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Looks like an Easter Egger to me! I'm not sure what her coloring is called but it's very pretty! [​IMG]

3. peepacheep

peepacheep Chillin' With My Peeps

What cool tail feathers! Alice is a beauty! 3 of the feed store pullet chicks I bought last spring were in a bin labeled Araucana/Ameraucana/EasterEggers. As chicks they had chipmunk markings in either shades of brown or gray. They grew up looking definitely more Easter Egger-ish. Great chickens but do not meet Ameraucana breed coloring. One of these chicks grew up to lay pale olive eggs. She had similar coloring like your Alice at about the same age. I am not sure what her coloring would officially be called but now she is brown, red, and gold with black markings. Another chick turned out with similar markings but black and white, lays barely tinted tan eggs, and the third black and white one started crowing at 9 weeks. That one has not laid an egg yet:) It was fun to see how their coloring changed with each mini molt they went through as chicks. Their legs kept the olive coloring and they are the best fliers of the flock. Lots of personality!

4. buffbuttercup

May 3, 2010
    Oregon
    i was kinda thinking that too, on account of the green feet and the cheeks. her color is really interesting. she was different from all the rest so naturally i wanted her! she had the chipmunk-type markings as a wee babe. her head is going jet black. and her fancy dusters are falling off [​IMG] she's not much of a flier, and is totally skitty and totally bottom bird. she is a nervous mess, lol. but when you get her up and hold her she calms really quickly. i'm waiting for her personality (chickenality?) to let itself be seen!

her at about 3 weeks
    [​IMG]

and her yesterday
    [​IMG]

oh, and thanx for all the pretty comments, i'll be sure to tell her. maybe it will boost her confidence, the poor thing.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  5. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

She is not a true Araucana. She's an EE, Easter Egger, lays pretty colored eggs and the EE can come in all different colors. Americauna (sp?) is a breed with distinct type & color varieties. To put it nicely, yours is a pretty mutt that will lay easter eggs in shades from blue/green to dark olive. [​IMG]

6. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Farm supplies get their chicks from hatcheries so therefore they only sell EEs... Hatcheries, even though they call them Ams and Aras, only have EEs. You have to go through a breeder to get the pure breeds and even then you have to know what to look for because there are other uninformed folks that got theirs from a hatchery or farm supply thinking theirs are pure.
    Anyway, EEs are so fun because they come in any color and will lay anything from white to brown and blue to olive. In other words, because they are a mix they can lay any color of the egg spectrum. It is really fun to see what colors you'll get from a bunch of pullets.

7. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    lol, it's spelled Ameraucana [​IMG] And she is a very pretty EE

8. buffbuttercup

May 3, 2010
    Oregon
    thanx guys! it's ok to me that she isn't 'pure' she's my sweet little insecure chicken and i love her no matter! and thanx for the spelling tip, i should have looked that up b4 attempting, lol.
    she is growing very fast, is half the age of some of the others and just as big. looking forward to her pretty, pretty (and tasty) eggs!

9. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    Cool looking tail. I just got true araucana's and they look much different than my EE's. When the roo breeds with the non araucana hen they will make EE's!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by