Alien chick in egg? Pics & Vid in egg on 1st pst Graphicpics on pst223

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by monarc23, Jan 13, 2009.

1. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Okay ever since I candled on day 7, this one egg had the most weirdest thing swirling around in it. Granted my temperatures went up to 107 for hours before day seven, and again days later it went up to 108 for hours. So I do realize that that could be what happened, the heat *may* have deformed the chick.

I am POSITIVE the chick is deformed....but i don't know what or how. If it's not deformed I am going to be SURPISED more than you'll ever know I wish I could show you what I see when I candle that egg. I'll try to explain.

First off, these eggs will be 21 days on saturday. So all the others except this one are so dark I can barely see anything but they do flutter alot and I can even see feet! This funky one however, I see what looks like a dark eye ball.........A large dark eyeball......that's it...swirling around. I can see into most of the egg, and that's the only dark are of the chick I see. Mind you, when I say it's swirling around, it's just as active as it's brothers and sisters chicks....but it's just an eyeball and possibly a pink head/neck I am seeing moving around. It makes me sick but I am NOT going to open it up and be WRONG again lol. So im letting it go to hatching and I do hope I am wrong I hope the egg I wrote on as "something is wrong" hatches out perfectly fine.

I decided my discription may not be clear enough so I doodled out pretty much what I see....same thing I saw at day 7 im seeing now and it's still alive....so what gives lol:
    [​IMG]

Anyone ever seen anything strange like this in an egg and still hatch out a normal chick???

Edited to add the picture and videos I just took....I had to go in our large closet to do this, and yes that's fake christmas tree branches you'll see haha. It was very hard doing this with only me to help hold the camera AND the egg and candle at the same time. [​IMG] So sorry for having to adjust it so much.

First the picture:
    [​IMG]
    ^^ see how much space that chick has? All its siblings are FILLINg the egg, being as they're due on saturday and I stop turning tomorrow. It does look like it's more than just a head and a neck, but the body shape of it is weird. I wanted to note that when I candled on day seven that I forgot to mention that I thought I saw two separate living things in there...but the egg is normal sized so I doubt it. Makes me wonder if the chick is elongated making it thin and long...oh i dont know but i wanted to throw that out there lol

And heres the first video, again sorry for the movement a lot but you WILL see the black dot moving (it is indeed an eye I could actuallysee the pupil/iris as I candled it, but you can't see that in the detail i did on the vid. Also at the end listen to the "peep!"......its' not in the airsack.....so I thought i was hearing things but you can plainly hear it on the camera. My camera does not make peeping or squeaking noises and to my knowledge nothing in that box could have squeaked..... i still dont 100% believe it could be the chick but it sure as heck sounded like it..lol im just glad i heard i tback on the recording cuz i was like "what!? nah...couldnt have been" that is why after the peep i move the egg and shut off the camera i wanted to see if it was recorded and it was lol:

[​IMG]

second video:
    [​IMG]

any new ideas? LOL

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  2. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    no idear but man i cant wait to see whats in it!!!

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Wonder if there can be a case of failure to thrive but in an egg. The chick just stops growing but hangs on for awhile. [​IMG]

4. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    God I hope it's not just a head! Ewww! If it doesn't hatch you have to break it open and see what the heck it is!

5. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:I wonder that, because to me it looks like an over sized day 10 chick or something lol. It's sad but that's what it looks like to me.

6. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:I will be, and will take pictures if it's weird enough [​IMG]

7. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Eh, do these help at all?

http://shilala.homestead.com/candling.html

I used this as a guide when I was hatching my first clutch. [​IMG]

I'm hoping for a normal chick for you! [​IMG] Post some pics when the little...thing...hatches...[​IMG]

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    ahhh!...youre scaring me!....i'm incubating now...and my temps spiked also!...[​IMG]....i would die if i had deformed chicks!...i dont wanna know whats in the eggie monarc!....[​IMG]

9. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:haha awhhh well if it makes you feel better ALL the other eggs are developing WONDERFULLY! [​IMG] [​IMG]

That smiley is ADORABLE! LOL!

10. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:the first two pictures, the second one, looks simliar to what im seeing, BUT it's alive and not bacteria. Im going to try maybe tonight to candle and film it (not sure if it will be visable) but i'd love to show you guys to get your oppinons. [​IMG] Its deffinatly alive though i wish it wasnt if it's deformed though [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by