alive or not?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Fraoch21, May 17, 2011.

1. Fraoch21

Fraoch21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    hi, i was wondering if there is any way in which i can tell if these eggs are going to hatch or not? they are actually turkey eggs but i thought this would apply to all eggs. i have no idea what time incubation started so i dont know when they were supposed to hatch but i candled them the other day and there is no room left in the egg, completely black, so i couldnt see any movement. I have left them a few days, expecting them to hacth, but none have started pipping? should i open one a bit to see if they are alive or not, as surely they should be startin by now?
    thanks

2. florasbell

florasbell Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    germany
    id leave them longer maybe they were just sleeping when you candle shine the light (bright) in the air sac and look closely around the dark edge take your time but try not to keep turning the egg and put it back in the same position or you'll confuse the baby you wont see much but you might see a little make sure your hum/temp are correct

3. Fraoch21

Fraoch21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    ok thank you, i candled tham again just now and i couldnt see anyting in any of them apart from 1. the 1 i could see, looked like it had its beak through the sac or at least trying, im just glad that they are alive [​IMG]

4. florasbell

florasbell Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    germany
    good luck

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I don't know anything about turkeys, but with chicken eggs, I'd give it more time. Folks have had eggs to hatch 3 days after the 21 day period. I would smell them though to rule out rotten ones.

I don't even bother looking for movement.

Last edited: May 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by