All 3 'girls' were accidental roosters...how did this slip by me?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by msjones, Nov 28, 2009.

1. msjones

msjones Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2009
    Seattle
    My three buff hens are all Hanks. How on earth did I not know this sooner?
    Do roosters not behave in rooster-ish ways if there are no hens present?
    They are 28 weeks old.
    Just started some very strangled pathetic crowing at sunrise 3 days ago.
    Hardly a peep out of them before then. And, I'm home all day so I would have heard.
    They never fought.
    They never pecked each other or any of us.
    They went around quietly in a charming trio, making little nests in the wood chips or dirt.
    Yeah, they had some combs and wattles, but nothing huge or distinctive. No tail feathers that I noticed. No spurs.
    But, I wasn't looking for rooster behavior or characteristics since I thought I had bought 3 hens.
    Sigh...
    They're gone now.
    Sold the coop, too.
    What was the chance of getting THREE accidental roosters?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Ah I'm sorry this has happened to you. [​IMG] Just MHO here, but three roosters without a hen in sight could get along without hens there to fight about.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

That's too bad. Hope your post doesn't mean you are giving up chickens. There are hens out there meant for you.

Imp

4. Cypress Hen House

Cypress Hen House Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2009
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    The chances of that have to be really slim. We had one roo in three Red Productions and one roo out of one straight run Blue Polish. We finally gave the blue away to "farm" with lots of chickens.

What a bummer for you!

Why did you give the coop too? Not going to try again?

5. msjones

Aug 1, 2009
    Seattle
    We're done for now.
    We had a variety of neighbor issues. The crowing 'hens' sort of pushed us over the edge. [​IMG]
    My husband is a math teacher. We figure he can write a good story problem about the probability of all three hens actually being roosters.

6. SonshineCountry

SonshineCountry New Egg

Nov 27, 2009
    Parrish, Fl
    Bummer, it happens sometimes. We moved to the country in July. It is our first time on an acreage since I was a kid twenty eight years ago. I bought 10 what we suppose to be straight run 4 month old Rhode Island Red. Well, some predator got one of them almost right away and the other nine were all roosters.

7. msjones

Aug 1, 2009
    Seattle
    What I can't understand is how I didn't know until they were 7 months old. No crowing at all from any of the 3 of them until 7 months?! Does that surprise anyone else? And, really, no fighting or aggression at ALL.

And we thought there were no eggs due to the PNW darkness.

8. aimeeinwv

aimeeinwv Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so sorry!!! We had 2 out of 6 be Roo's too. It's so discouraging after all that work!!!! Maybe in the future, you can try again.

9. aimeeinwv

aimeeinwv Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Maybe because you didn't have Hens for them to fight about? Bet there woulda been some "unbrotherly love" if there had been a hen in the mix! [​IMG]

10. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    Don't be too hard on yourself...you were expecting them to be hens, and you had no reason to question it. If one had been a hen, you would have had something to which you could compare the others...with no comparison available, it would be tougher to tell. I'm really sorry. How disheartening. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by