All 3 red sex-links have stopped laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickensInReno, Mar 13, 2015.

1. ChickensInReno

ChickensInReno New Egg

Mar 12, 2015
    Not sure what the deal is here. A week ago, all three chickens stopped laying all at the same time after being dependable daily for about the last 8 months since they started.

Feed and watering has been the same. The only changes they have experienced is a bit of warming in the weather, and we cleaned up the back yard a bit around the time they stopped laying. They don't have a "regular" spot to lay as we couldn't really convince them to use the nesting boxes we made in their shed/coop. They've layed everywhere from a pile of dirt to the brush pile to an empty planter pot filled with soil. I've covered every inch of the back yard where they free range and we're certain they aren't hiding them anywhere. Everyone seems healthy.

Could this just be part of their cycle and is there any tips/tricks to get them kickstarted again? My only theory is that cleaning up the back where they live and moving some things around may have spooked them and they don't feel safe back there any more. I would have thought a week would have been enough time to get used to a raked yard, though.

Any thoughts, theories, comments, suggestions are appreciated!

THANKS!

Tom and Angela
    Reno, NV

2. WildWestChick

WildWestChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    Southwestern Utah
    That may have been too much of a change for them, until they get used to it you may be without eggs for a couple of days or longer until they feel comfortable again. Have you tried placing 'dummy' eggs in the nest boxes? Or even golf balls can sometimes work, if they see eggs somewhere it makes them wanna use that area. Kind of like if it's good enough for someone else, it's good enough for me. :) I hope that helps!

Oh and....

[​IMG]

3. ChickensInReno

ChickensInReno New Egg

Mar 12, 2015
    Thanks for the info! We do have wooden dummy eggs, so maybe I'll place them somewhere strategic.

Another thought is, they may be molting. There are some loose feathers about, but this seems like an odd time for them to start.

4. WildWestChick

Mar 24, 2014
    Southwestern Utah
    That will help out lots in finding eggs! :) and are your hens around a year old? Usually that's about when they have their first good molt, it's just strange they would all be doing it at the same time. :/

5. ChickensInReno

ChickensInReno New Egg

Mar 12, 2015
    Exactly a year old this week, in fact. Must just be molting and I didn't consider that possibility, because I thought that happened in late summer, not early spring. And yeah, it seems like they've all started at the same time. They seem pretty close, so maybe they just decided to do it together!

And thanks for the welcome! I'll be spending lots of time on here. We just put 15 new chicks in to the brooder (pack and play) so I'll be checking in to read up on introducing them to our little flock of three. We'll be giving 4 to my mother to add to her flock of 6 and keeping the rest. It is an addiction. We got the three red sex-links last spring and now have 3 silver laced wyandottes, 3 barred rock, 3 white californias, 3 americaunas and 3 black sex-links getting bigger every day!

6. ChickensInReno

ChickensInReno New Egg

Mar 12, 2015
    Well, long story short, last year we started with 10 chicks - 4 were murdered by a stray dog a neighbor let in our house because she thought it was ours, we gave two to my mom, one died and we were left with Wynona, Dolly and Reba who have been rock solid layers until this week. I guess I shouldn't panic yet!

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Could be molting.

Get ready for the extreme feather loss. You'll think your hens have some sort of hideous disease.
    [​IMG]

8. WildWestChick

Mar 24, 2014
    Southwestern Utah
    I'm sorry for your loss last year, it was a bad year for me too. We have lots of predators around here (I live on 40 acres in the desert) and we lost a bunch. Started with 29 birds (assorted poultry) and I'm down to 13. :/

But congrats on your new babies! :jumpy I'm so jealous! I've got fuzzy-butt fever bad! Lol as soon as I can finish my brooder house we will be getting, assorted chicks, Muscovy ducklings, assorted goslings, turkey poults, and guinea keets. :D

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by