All 4-H People I Have A ? About This Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by azhenhouse, Mar 16, 2011.

1. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    Obviously, this duck is a mixed breed so he can't be shown in a specific breed class. Can he be shown in the Crested class or would he be disqualified because he is mixed? I know he can be used for showmanship but is that it?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think he is pretty awesome.

2. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Thats a nice big fro on your ducky. I hope your kids show him and do well. I dont have kids and Im from the UK and we dont have 4H. I have been to 4H shows with my neighbor and her kids showing goats and the parents are worse than the kids. I think kids should be able to show what ever breed the want to show be it a mixed breed mutt or a high dollar show bird. Good Luck [​IMG]

3. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    You could put a specific breed like crested swedish but the judges are going to judge the bird on how it matches to APA standards so the bird might not do so well. But even with a cross the kids can get Grand champion, reserve, etc. with him.

Another thing though is its a county show so the judges are going to be a lot more lenient, so i would say go ahead and get 'em entered.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  4. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Looks like a Black Swedish Crested Drake. I love my Black Swedish Crested Hen! [​IMG]

5. sweeterdeeter42

sweeterdeeter42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    Have you ever shown a duck in 4-H before? Ours only has Heavy, Medium, light, and bantam classes for ducks. My sister showed crested ducks every year she was in 4-H. Check to see what the classes are, and if they are the same as ours, you would go by what type of duck it most resembles, like a crested runner would be in the light class, but a crested pekin would be in the heavy class. I dont remember what class the Swedish are in though. But I agree, he is a crested black Swedish.

6. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:Swedish are in the medium class [​IMG] And crested ducks are in the medium class also [​IMG]

7. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    regardless of the class, they will still be judged based on apa breed standards.

Do showmanship and pen show. Its really easy to do showmanship.

I brought this khaki drake to the fair last year for kicks and giggles, he got white in pen show but grand champion in showmanship.
    [​IMG]

8. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I don't think he is a mixed breed. He is a crested black swedish.

9. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Does he have brown in his crest?

10. sweeterdeeter42

sweeterdeeter42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:Swedish are in the medium class [​IMG] And crested ducks are in the medium class also [​IMG]

It must be an Illinois thing to have heavy medium lightweight and bantam as the only classes for ducks, because everyone else seems to have a more complex 4-H show. Our 4-H show was nothing compared to the open show. Our 4-H show you also had to have a pair, you couldnt show just one duck. And in showmanship you are judged, not the bird. Its about how much you know and how you handle the bird. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by