all 4 laying hens have dry fowl pox...help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickima, Oct 20, 2013.

1. chickima

chickima Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2013
    do i just wait it out?! i don't understand if using DE is helpful or not? are the eggs safe to consume? is this about coop management or mosquitos? there is feather loss and onr hen may have mites too. my birds free range, what can i do for the next few months? are the lesions just ugly, or are they at risk of becoming infected? pls help...any wisdom appreciated...thanks.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Dry fowl pox will go away on its own, in about three weeks. Diatamaceous earth, as far as I know, has no useful purposes when it comes to fowl pox. Eggs are safe to consume during fowl pox, as long as you aren't giving them any antibiotics. It is often just caused by mosquitoes and other flying insects. Keeping a coop free of flying insects helps prevent fowl pox and slow its spread. I do not believe that the lesions are in danger of getting infected. However, the stress of the disease could cause a secondary bacterial infection, so giving some antibiotics wouldn't hurt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by