all 4 laying hens have dry fowl pox...help!

chickima

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 24, 2013
do i just wait it out?! i don't understand if using DE is helpful or not? are the eggs safe to consume? is this about coop management or mosquitos? there is feather loss and onr hen may have mites too. my birds free range, what can i do for the next few months? are the lesions just ugly, or are they at risk of becoming infected? pls help...any wisdom appreciated...thanks.

Dry fowl pox is carried by mosquitoes and then can be spread from chicken to chicken. It last about 6 weeks and the chicken is immune to it afterward. It can get into the eyes making it more complicated. Wet fowl pox can occur at the same time, and is very serious if the yellow patches are in the throat and airway. Could you possibly post a picture? Here is some info with a picture: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/avian-pox-how-to-treat-your-chickens-for-avian-pox

thanks...should i treat the combs and wattles? should i throw out their eggs?

I don't do anything to birds that have dry pox. As long as there are no lesions in the eyes or in the mouth then it's just dry pox. It will look like heck for a while but it will eventually clear up. As long as you are not medicating I don't see any reason to throw out the eggs.

My girls are going through this. I put a vitamin supplement in their water and blukote from tractor supply on the lesions. The rest is just waiting game and monitoring. The girls are doing better after just a week. I still eat the eggs as well. Hope this helps :)

Back
Top Bottom