1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

all 4 of my girls are officially laying!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dftkarin, Jan 22, 2009.

1. dftkarin

dftkarin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    I'm bursting with pride and gradtitude! Even though its been horribly cold and days are still short - all 4 of my chickens are laying eggs! The first layed her first egg on Jan 2 and yesterday and today I have gotten 4 eggs each day! I'm over the moon!
    [​IMG]
    Today's 4 eggs

[​IMG]

2. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

Is that a marble egg?

Congrats on the eggs!! Mine started two days later than yours. I have three laying, so maybe there's hope soon for my fourth, huh? [​IMG]

Congrats again!!

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I know how you feel. There's nothing like going out to the hen house and finding some eggs! [​IMG] I have four that are laying right now, one of which is a Japanese Bantam, she's so cute too. Oh, and I also have one Pekin duck laying also.

4. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    That's so fabulous! Can you talk to my 3 B's a help them along? & months and only 8 eggs from one known locally as B Master B.

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Sometimes it just doesn't make any sense when they aren't laying?
    But you just got to hold out, they will, like some of the others have said "slackers" [​IMG] !

6. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Congratulations!! [​IMG] So Cool!!

Pretty eggs too!!! [​IMG]

7. dftkarin

dftkarin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    A lot of folks in my area tell me their chickens aren't laying, they either stopped when the days got shorter or haven't started yet - so I like to think that its all my pampering and good treatment that makes my chickens all lay in this cold and dark. I bring them warmed oatmeal/yogurt/mash most cold morning, I stuck their outdoor waterer in a heated dog bowl so they have constant access to unfrozen water (I started that right after the coldest days and I think the last two started laying right after that), and I snuggle and socialize with them all the time. Happy contented chickens? Or just good luck? I'm very greatful either way!

8. cjstanman

cjstanman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Just north of Raleigh
    Congrats!! I've got 3 out of 4 laying and am waiting for my first 4-egg day too. Mine started on Jan. 4th.

9. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    Congratulations on those beautiful eggs!

It's funny... I was scrolling down your pictures thinking... hmm... that's a pretty barred rock... holy cow! What kind of egg did she lay?!! Before realizing that it was a stone egg. Now that fake egg would surely should keep a chicken from trying to be an egg-eater. One peck to that would give 'em a headache!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by