all 6 b/o hens look very pale

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by goldeneggtees, May 26, 2010.

1. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    we've had extremely hot weather very quickly for the last two days. my hens have fresh food and water available all the time but last night and today - they are looking very pale in their combs and faces, is this normal? they are panting with wings down. they have plenty of access to shade - they free range on their own 1/4 acre.

2. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    sorry to bump but can anyone shed some light on this phenomenon? I'm worried.

3. RachelFromTheBlackLagoon

RachelFromTheBlackLagoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Wallingford, CT
    I noticed the same with my girls today. It was exceptionally hot out this afternoon. I'm not really sure what else to say beside keep doing what you're doing with access to fresh water and shade! I remember seeing some threads about fans and other homemade cooling contraptions last summer. Maybe try doing some searches and see what you can come up with.

4. nancy1zak

nancy1zak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    It is hot here too in NJ today. 90 degrees. Feels like July. I keep a few 2 liter pop bottles in the freezer with water in them. I put them in the coop today to help cool it. I also gave them fresh cool water 4x today. Plus, some cold fruit and veggies. Mostly they hung out under the coop where it was shady.

5. RachelFromTheBlackLagoon

RachelFromTheBlackLagoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Wallingford, CT
    The frozen bottle thing is a great idea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by