all 9 chicks are dead

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by oweirdo, Feb 25, 2014.

1. oweirdo

oweirdo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2014
    Georgetown, TX
    I had 9 5week old chicks, we had them out in the brooder barn. And I would let them out during day. My year old rooster loved the chicks, but when I went out this afternoon to close them in, they were all dead. The rooster was standing over one, the only wounds are small triangular wounds on their backs between the wings. Nothing any where else, no feathers missing......

2. Nigellas

Nigellas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Yikes, 5 weeks is much too early to be with a full grown roo. So sorry you and the chicks had to learn that the hard way. :(

3. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    He must have pecked them to death. I've certainly made my fair share of chicken mistakes, know how you feel.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. oweirdo

Feb 21, 2014
    Georgetown, TX
    He has been roosting with then for a week. He would protect them under him, scratch for them. Mom told me "I'm glad you have a mothering rooster" I then trusted her experience, and let him in more. Shame on me, my poor silkie and polish lace :(

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I am not sure the rooster did it. My experience with adult chickens killing young chickens involves a LOT of bloody picking, usually most on the heads. Five week old chicks are kind of tough. I would have thought they would have been a bloody mess.

6. Could it have been a neighbor's dog shaking them maybe? That's horrible, I'm so sorry :(

7. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    It probably was your rooster. So sorry for your loss.

Do not blame your rooster,you have no idea what triggered this attack.

This is why in most cases,you never leave young animals with the male of the species,as they can be unpredictable and often this happens.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. JaceAgain

JaceAgain Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2014
    Coastal NC
    Could older chickens have done it?

9. oweirdo

Feb 21, 2014
    Georgetown, TX
    I only have one older chicken, my rooster.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm in this camp. I've had hens kill 2 month old chicks and it looked like a slaughterhouse, the chicks were very pecked and bloody, around the head and neck mostly. If they were not confined, I'm thinking you had some type of spree predator. My dog left similar marks when he tried to "play" with my young pullets, and they were shaken to death,no other marks. I think your rooster is innocent. If you get more chicks in the future, you'll probably want to make a more secure area for them, at least until they're full grown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by