All a sudden my SIX year old hen decided not to sleep in the coop!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by StarLover21, Mar 1, 2012.

1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Why would she do this? This morning I went to let out the chickens, and saw Luna pecking around outside the coop. I thought maybe the coop door had blow shut and she wasn't able to get in. I scolded her, gave her a treat, and let out the other hens, and reminded myself to do role call every night (I live in the city but have tons of predators!). This night she wasn't in the coop again. She's a fatter-than-a-cornishcross chicken, and has clipped wings, so she couldn't be roosting in the tree. I looked around, and found her in the nesting boxes, which are converted cat litter boxes that are underneath the coop, full of straw. She was all curled up and asleep in her own 'mini-coop'. I live in Texas and now that it's march the lows at night never go below 70, and so she probably felt no need for protection of the coop. But she does usually roost...[​IMG] I put her in the coop and locked them up. Any ideas why she's doing this and how to stop it?
    Thanks!
    P.S the picture below is of her in the nestbox (not sleeping, but laying an egg). That's where she's started sleeping.

[​IMG]

2. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    Anybody?

3. bird boy

bird boy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2012
    Well StarLover, Luna is six years old and by hen standards thats getting up there. It may be that the other girls are picking on her some. Has she been slower then usual or had any other noticiable behaviour changes? Our older hen Nanny, did something very similar, started staying out or hiding from hens she had been with for years. One day we went to find her and she had passed away. We will always remember Nanny she was such a good surrogate mother.

4. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011

She is a old chicky :) . However she doesn't seem old- she's a great layer, laying huge jumbo eggs about 4 days a week. And I REALLY doubt its because other hens have been picking on her. She has been at the top of the pecking order for forever and nobody has really challenged her. My other hens are a production red, her BFF, who is the same age and I have nodiced her being slower, and just acting...older? Anyway, she has never challenged Luna and has lived with her for years. And my other chicks are still pullets who just started laying and just have no idea how to stand up for themselves. [​IMG] One dissaproving look from Luna and they scatter! So I don't think that's it. I'm really confused.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by