All about garden herbs

Pics

TJAnonymous

Enabler
Feb 29, 2020
Central Arkansas
I wanted to start a thread about garden herbs. What do you grow? Do you use it fresh or dried? How do you harvest and store it? What do you use your herbs for?

I grow the following herbs -

Dill - typically use fresh in canning

Rosemary - just started growing a new start this summer.

Lemon Balm - will be drying this herb and saving for tea.

Lemongrass - will be drying this herb for tea. Would like to use the stalks in cooking but I'm not sure what dishes we routinely make where I can use it.

Basil - have always used this fresh in various dishes. I'm going to dry some this year. Not sure what I will use it for yet.

Pineapple Mint & spearmint - use this fresh in fruit infused water.

Stevia - got this because I use Stevia in lots of things but don't really know how to convert leaves to usable sugar so I'm not sure if I will maintain it.

Well, I had a garden that was supposed to be an herb garden but I kind of did not pay attention to it.
The oregano is fighting with the mint over who owns the lower nether world of my herb garden. The goji is fighting with the one that taste like root beer leaves over who gets to weed out to the farthest outreaches of gardentowne, The spinach is fighting with the pineapple sage for central toteville, and the mouseberry vine says screw you im just covering ALL of you with my endless vines..... while the gingers say not so fast and poke their heads out of the growing triple canopy herb jungle that is rapidly growing here much to the HOA's disdain.

So there's my Herb Garden :)

Last edited:
Idk if you make Thai or Vietnamese food or curries but lemon grass is pretty commonly used in those. I will chop it sometimes to add to my veggie gyoza sometimes as well.

I grow

Lavender- basically for my whole house. I grow French and English. I will usually dry it and add it to pillows, cabinets and drawers with cedar balls. Also good for headache.

Lemongrass- I cook with it sometimes, but we mainly grow it to call swarms. We boil it and then will spray it on a swarm box. The smell is similar to that of a new queen.

English thyme and creeping thyme- culinary use. Fresh and dried

Basil- fresh or dried it's tasty lol.

Oregano and Cuban oregano- culinary.

Rosemary-dried or fresh it's great in bread and on a roast chicken.

Mint- spearmint, I make a spray with this for my window sills keeps out ants and spiders

Pineapple sage- the bees love it and it's pretty

Sage-culinary use.

Anise hyssop-teas
Chamomile- teas
Echinacea- teas/health..obviously the root is useful.

I really want to grow ginger, turmeric and ginseng but don't know the process.

Ginger is easy, you pretty much can almost ignore it, just keep it moist, tumeric the same thing. Ginseng now that's an entirely different world. Expensive as hell to get a good one and it takes a while. The seeds alone can take a better part of a year to germinate, then a few years to get the plant to a harvestable size. The stuff sells for insane prices too so if you ARE lucky to get it growing, don't be bragging too much about it, Yes gensing theft IS a real problem !! especially when the better stuff can get several hundred dollars a pound for it.

I had lemongrass at one time, to be honest, I am not sure if it got overgrown and snuffed outby the other stuff or not. I really DO have to go thru that garden spot. This just gave me a chore for the weekend. Hopefully it rains so if iI do end up yanking a lot of stuff, it's easier.

Idk if you make Thai or Vietnamese food or curries but lemon grass is pretty commonly used in those. I will chop it sometimes to add to my veggie gyoza sometimes as well.

I grow

Lavender- basically for my whole house. I grow French and English. I will usually dry it and add it to pillows, cabinets and drawers with cedar balls. Also good for headache.

Lemongrass- I cook with it sometimes, but we mainly grow it to call swarms. We boil it and then will spray it on a swarm box. The smell is similar to that of a new queen.

English thyme and creeping thyme- culinary use. Fresh and dried

Basil- fresh or dried it's tasty lol.

Oregano and Cuban oregano- culinary.

Rosemary-dried or fresh it's great in bread and on a roast chicken.

Mint- spearmint, I make a spray with this for my window sills keeps out ants and spiders

Pineapple sage- the bees love it and it's pretty

Sage-culinary use.

Anise hyssop-teas
Chamomile- teas
Echinacea- teas/health..obviously the root is useful.

I really want to grow ginger, turmeric and ginseng but don't know the process.
We don't cook Thai or Vietnamese foods. I'm not a fan of hot spicy and I don't know any meals that aren't...

I have tried to grow Chamomile (died), Lavender (barely hanging on), and Echinecea (one plant) with limited success.

I did grow Butterfly Pea flowers very successfully. I've been drying those flowers all summer and storing in a jar. I put the dried flowers in my Lemonade so it turns purple... Silly but I think it's cool. I'd like to brew some in the tea strainer but I typically don't drink hot tea until it's chilly outside.

Ginger is easy, you pretty much can almost ignore it, just keep it moist, tumeric the same thing. Ginseng now that's an entirely different world. Expensive as hell to get a good one and it takes a while. The seeds alone can take a better part of a year to germinate, then a few years to get the plant to a harvestable size. The stuff sells for insane prices too so if you ARE lucky to get it growing, don't be bragging too much about it, Yes gensing theft IS a real problem !! especially when the better stuff can get several hundred dollars a pound for it.

I had lemongrass at one time, to be honest, I am not sure if it got overgrown and snuffed outby the other stuff or not. I really DO have to go thru that garden spot. This just gave me a chore for the weekend. Hopefully it rains so if iI do end up yanking a lot of stuff, it's easier.
Ginseng grows wild around here and I know a lot of people go looking for it (especially Meth heads) but I don't have the slightest clue what it looks like or how to find it so..... :confused:

We don't cook Thai or Vietnamese foods. I'm not a fan of hot spicy and I don't know any meals that aren't...

I have tried to grow Chamomile (died), Lavender (barely hanging on), and Echinecea (one plant) with limited success.

I did grow Butterfly Pea flowers very successfully. I've been drying those flowers all summer and storing in a jar. I put the dried flowers in my Lemonade so it turns purple... Silly but I think it's cool. I'd like to brew some in the tea strainer but I typically don't drink hot tea until it's chilly outside.
How is growing butterfly pea flower? I love the tea it's got a lovely flavor. I've never had it hot though always a cold tea. Chamomile I truly just throw seeds cover lightly and cross my fingers lol!

I can't hunt ginseng here in bama without a permit sadly those are all limited and bought to my knowledge... might be closed due to poaching...soooo I gotta try to grow it.

Back
Top Bottom