All American Christmas this year

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by AlabamaChickenLady, Nov 15, 2011.

1. AlabamaChickenLady

AlabamaChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Oak Grove, Alabama
    Ok I really love this sentement: Best Idea I've Seen Lately. . . . . . . . .

As the holidays approach, the giant factories around the world are kicking into high gear to provide Americans with monstrous piles of cheaply produced goods -- merchandise that has been produced at the expense of American labor. This year will be different. This year Americans will give the gift of genuine concern for other Americans. There is no longer an excuse that, at gift giving time, nothing can be found that is produced by American hands.

Yes there is! It's time to think outside the box, people. Who says a gift needs to fit in a shirt box, wrapped in imported wrapping paper?

Everyone -- yes EVERYONE gets their hair cut. How about gift certificates from your local American hair salon or barber?

Gym membership? It's appropriate for all ages who are thinking about some health improvement. How about subscriptions to the local newspaper, or a favorite magazine, or NRA?

Who wouldn't appreciate getting their car detailed? Small, American owned, detail shops and car washes would love to sell you a gift certificate or a book of gift certificates.

Are you one of those extravagant givers who think nothing of plonking down the Benjamines on an imported flat-screen? Perhaps that grateful gift receiver would like his driveway sealed, or lawn mowed for the summer, or driveway plowed all winter, or games at the local golf course.

There are a bazillion owner-run restaurants -- all offering gift certificates. And, if your intended isn't the fancy eatery sort, what about a half dozen breakfasts at the local breakfast joint. Remember, folks this isn't about big National chains -- this is about supporting your home town Americans with their financial lives on the line to keep their doors open.

How many people couldn't use an oil change for their car, truck or motorcycle, done at a shop run by the American working guy?

Thinking about a heartfelt gift for mom? Mom would LOVE the services of a local cleaning lady for a day.

My computer could use a tune-up, and I KNOW I can find some young guy who is struggling to get his repair business up and running.

OK, you were looking for something more personal. Local crafts people spin their own wool and knit them into scarves. They make jewelry, and pottery and beautiful wooden boxes.

Plan your holiday outings at local, owner operated restaurants and leave your server a nice tip. And, how about going out to see a play or ballet at your hometown theater. Musicians need love too, so find a venue showcasing local bands.

Honestly, people, do you REALLY need to buy another ten thousand imported strings of lights for the house? When you buy a five dollar string of light, about fifty cents stays in the community.

If you have those kinds of bucks to burn, leave the mailman, trash guy or babysitter a nice BIG tip.

You see, Christmas is no longer about draining American pockets so that other countries can build another glittering city. Christmas is now about caring about US, encouraging American small businesses to keep plugging away to follow their dreams. And, when we care about other Americans, we care about our communities, and the benefits come back to us in ways we couldn't imagine. THIS is the new American Christmas tradition.

Forward this to everyone on your mailing list -- post it to discussion groups -- throw up a post on Craigslist in the Rants and Raves section in your city -- send it to the editor of your local paper and radio stations, and TV news departments. This is a revolution of caring about each other, and isn't that what Christmas is about?

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I think this is a great idea--and posted it on one of my facebook pages AND my local craigslist!
    It would do wonders for the economy--and don't our LOCALS deserve the $ instead of supporting another country?

3. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Along with this there is a big campaign to buy in your local community on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Shop the local mom & pop places, not the national chain big box stores. I think the national Chamber of Commerce is sponsoring this effort.

Lots of good ideas!!

This year I did ask DH & the kids to go in together and get my van detailed for my gift. They think it's not very personal and special, but with the amount of time I spend in there hauling them around, getting it back to pretty and nice would be something I'd appreciate and see everyday!

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I like this thread....This year, I've tried to buy gifts that were made in America. My parents love puzzles, and I looked at several of them and read the labels to find the ones made in the USA! I'm also getting them a gift cert to have dinner at a local restaurant.

You are right, those purchases can make a difference.

5. franklinstreetwest

franklinstreetwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Urban Jungle
    Saw this posted on facebook and apperciate the sentiment! For years as my mother insisted on buying ever increasing piles of "stuff" I pleaded that we just not buy into consumerism! I love stuff!! I LOOOVE my designer Burberry and Prada shoes, but the competition shopping thing has me green at the gills. For the holidays and especially Christmas, it is more special to me these days to get together and annoy eachother with board games and jokes! I would rather go to a local stage production or stay-cation than try and outbuy my relatives with the "best" gift. In my family there aren't any small children left, we're all old farts in our twenties or better... even if there were children, I don't think that they would be missing out on anything by not receiving a glut of useless merchandise! It is not our duty as good Americans to consume more!!!!!! If giving a gift is something that you would like to do and can afford, buy local, it is the gift that gives all the way around.

6. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    Quote:Indeed!
    It's nice when your second home is clean. xD

7. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    I have to ask this though...what do you do for the child who is thing obsessed?
    The kid that has to be keeping up with the Jones'?
    My sister doesn't appreciate much....she doesn't take care of much.
    She is very different from my Mother and I.
    Sometimes I wonder where she came from!
    xD
    I just don't know what to do for her....her list consists of jewelry and electronics. All high priced in each category.

8. AlabamaChickenLady

Jan 4, 2011
    Oak Grove, Alabama
    I'm so glad that other people agree with this! I was worried no-one would agree. [​IMG]

I'm shopping all local for our families presents this year. For a couple of the younger kids, I can't get away from the toys altogether. So I turned to my local Craigslist in search of nice items and toys. I've gotten some really nice (gently used) toys and video games. But the money goes to a fellow American who will in turn spend it, thrus helping the US economy.

Flea markets and second hand shops have some pretty nice stuff also. I found a man at our local flea market that makes hand made furniture and dinning room sets. Boy, they were really pretty also. I'm thinking my parents would love a pair of handmade rocking chairs this year!!

9. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    there's also etsy.com - a site for artisans to sell their handmade goods. you do have to be a little careful there, because naturally some of the foreign mass-producers are now listing items there as well pretending that they're handmade, but, you can find real gems on there. [​IMG] everyone has a profile page there, you should be able to tell where the items were made if you take a moment.

10. AlabamaChickenLady

Jan 4, 2011
    Oak Grove, Alabama
    Quote:Maybe a spa package to a local spa... but make it for 2 so she can take one of the "Jone's" with her. Just a thought. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by