All Bills NOT Paid?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by PineappleMama, Jul 1, 2010.

1. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/07/01/2308117/arlington-may-evacuate-residents.html

ARLINGTON - The city is preparing to possibly evacuate 175 residents from a north Arlington apartment complex if the electricity there is turned off for nonpayment, officials said.

The gas has been turned off at Bristol Pointe Apartments, 765 Polk Drive, since at least June 21 and the electricity was set to be turned off Thursday, Community Services Director Lee Hitchcock said.

On Wednesday, city workers went door-to-door notifying tenants about the possible loss of power at the all-bills-paid complex and urged families to seek alternative housing.

"This is significant. We decided to take the unprecedented step of notifying the residents what may happen and to be ready," Hitchcock said.

The complex has already received 124 citations from the city because of the lack of hot water. Hitchcock said the police and fire chief may decide to evacuate the tenants if the electricity is shut off too.

"That is unacceptable at any time but especially in a Texas summer," Hitchcock said.

Wow, can you imagine getting an all bills paid place... holding up your end... paying on time... and then No Hot Water... okay, great... but you have a lease and if you leave YOU get punished... so you stay... now the electric is being threatened... No lights and No A/C in Texas Summer Heat... and again, after they've been collected rent from everyone... this is MONTHS of back bills... what have they been doing with all that cash? And now, these people may be FORCED to leave... not even given a choice in the matter... by the city... to leave a home they paid for... only one they have... sheesh.

Edit... UPDATE http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/07/01/2309214/arlington-preparing-to-evacuate.html

ARLINGTON -- City workers went door to door at a north Arlington apartment complex Wednesday warning residents that the power may be shut off and urging them to make plans to move to alternate housing or an emergency shelter.

Residents of the Bristol Pointe Apartments off Lamar Boulevard have been without hot water for three weeks because the gas was cut off.

The city notified about 175 residents that they could lose electric power because the apartment management is far behind in its payments to Gexa Energy, Community Services Director Lee Hitchcock said.

"This is significant. We decided to take the unprecedented step of notifying the residents what may happen and be ready," he said. "We can not allow folks to live in a situation that is unsafe."

Bristol Pointe, owned by Allen and Shlomo Chelminsky of Florida, was posted for foreclosure and could be sold at auction Tuesday, according to public records.

The complex has received 124 citations from the city because of the lack of hot water but passed its most recent annual inspection, Hitchcock said.

Arlington police and fire chiefs could decide to evacuate tenants if the electricity is shut off, he said.

"That is unacceptable at any time, but especially in a Texas summer," said Hitchcock, who added that tenants staying there with Section 8 housing vouchers have already been approved to move to other apartments.

The other tenants will have the choice of staying or breaking their leases, he said.

The apartment manager, DMJ Management, did not return a phone call seeking comment Thursday, and the office at the complex was locked.

The management company gave tenants a letter June 25 apologizing for the inconvenience. It stated that the power would not be shut off and that the hot water would be restored by Monday.

Getting out

For some tenants, the promise was not enough. Several moving trucks and trailers could be seen in the complex parking lots Thursday, and one tenant yelled out "Don't rent here" to passing pedestrians.

Laura Beckley, who has lived at the complex two years, is frustrated but doesn't want to move.

Her apartment is close to her job and right across from a playground, where she can watch her three children from the front door. But, Beckley said, if management doesn't start taking care of its responsibilities, her family will pack up and leave, like many other tenants.

"I've been taking cold showers for three weeks. I get my baby in and out as fast as I can," Beckley said. "I say, 'Just pretend like you're swimming.'"

Marta Dussan, speaking through an interpreter, said she doesn't know where she and her family would go. She said she is worried about her son, Daniel Rodriguez, an epileptic whose seizures are triggered by the heat, if the power is turned off.

"She wonders what the people are doing with her money," said Pastor Roger Venegas, a family friend. "She has always paid her rent on time. She feels like her rights are violated."

Default and foreclosure

In 2008, Allen Chelminsky told the Star-Telegram that he and Shlomo, his father, planned to spend $50 million renovating Bristol Pointe and nine other complexes that their company, King Landing, had purchased between Lamar and Green Oaks boulevards in north Arlington.

However, King Landing recently defaulted on a $12.5 million note taken out for the Bristol Pointe property and is also facing foreclosure on three other complexes at Misty Ridge Circle, Furrs Street and Collins Street, according to public records.

Councilman Mel LeBlanc, who represents the north side, said he's proud of the city's quick response and preparedness to handle the potential health-safety crisis.

"The city really has been working feverishly in marshaling resources to make sure no citizen is harmed by the management going into foreclosure," LeBlanc said.

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/07/01/2309214/arlington-preparing-to-evacuate.html#ixzz0sVSif55x

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

That is appalling. People rent those kinds of places so they KNOW they have their utilities. It's usually the lower income people that live in the all bills paid places too. I rented one when I was first divorced, newly moved and with a 5 year old child. That place was a Godsend for me at the time.

3. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    That's horrible! If I was a tenant I would be furious! I hope that all the leases are waived for these people... [​IMG]

4. PineappleMama

Yeah, but what do you want to bet they've already paid July's rent... seeing as it's the 1st and all... where are they going to come up with rent, deposits, app fees, etc to get into another place... even if there WERE that many apartments available for immediate occupancy within their price range.

The manager, owners etc should be brought up on criminal charges... not to mention a class action.

Only good point I can possibly think of is that at least it's not during school... so any upheaval won't hurt the kids in that particular way.

5. PineappleMama

UPDATE... text in opening post... but a piece...

tenants staying there with Section 8 housing vouchers have already been approved to move to other apartments.

The other tenants will have the choice of staying or breaking their leases, he said.

So, the welfare folks get a free pass to another place, which takes one away from someone who's been on waiting for one... last I checked that list was 2 years behind and closed to applicants...

Bonus points though that the people who are NOT on welfare have the choice of 100 heat or their credit ruined. That of course isn't an issue for someone on housing, but for regular folks that is NOT going to make getting and keeping a place in the future any easier. There should be a way to keep that from scarring their credit, so they can still get a place, just like the welfare folks. Not cool.

Basically this company got in WAY over their heads... and so they just started keeping everyone's rent... hording it... instead of paying the bills... they should absolutely be sued, at the very least that rent (and now it's the 1st that might be 2 months worth) given back since they failed to uphold their end of the deal... do that and I wouldn't be able to complain much... and make sure everyone's deposits are returned FAST so they can use them to find another place... there are things this company could have done, and still could do to make this better... can't change things, but they could try and do better... AND they darned well better pay every CENT of those fines, plus interest for causing the city all this trouble too...

On a side note... the Libertarian in me found this annoying...

Marta Dussan, speaking through an interpreter, said she doesn't know where she and her family would go. She said she is worried about her son, Daniel Rodriguez, an epileptic whose seizures are triggered by the heat, if the power is turned off.

"She wonders what the people are doing with her money," said Pastor Roger Venegas, a family friend. "She has always paid her rent on time. She feels like her rights are violated."

THE NON ENGLISH SPEAKER thinks her rights have been violated... that's a sore spot, the language thing, but ignoring that. The company did wrong, but no where in the Constitution does it say that the government is supposed to provide you with electricity... it is up to YOU to find it, pay for it, work it out... now, you can sue the company after they've done you wrong, but it isn't in any way part of your 'rights'... it's part of a contract. Anyone else notice this disturbing trend of people demanding 'rights' that just are NOT rights or is that just me?

6. RabbitMage

RabbitMage Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Quote:This woman likely can't afford housing anywhere else and is caring for a young epileptic child and you're upset because she speaks limited English? That is the LAST thing in this story you should be upset about.

Also, what does that have to do with being Libertarian?

7. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    If I were responsible for a home or building I would make sure everything is paid and fixed even if it means just cutting even. I guess I would not be a very good business person,but I just can't see not taking care of my responsibilites to make a profit.

OT:
    My mom has a co-worker who is hungarian.Been in this country for years.Daughter raised here.Took english classes MANY times....and her english SUCKS. I don't know if people harp on her as much as they do on spanish speakers,but I know she has tried.My mom learned english.So did my dh.For some it is easy.If you pay taxes like me speak whatever you want.My mom gets annoyed with people who don't speak english.My dh does not care.He just got his citizenship,but instead of nice comments we get comments about possible terrorists in the new citizen group.WHATEVER.I tell my kids to learn spanish instead of the french and german I was offered in school.Chinese is useful too.I always thought languages were fun.

On welfare.UGH that system! I never understood how people who were doing decent got free money,and those who were struggling got denied. I and a few people I know applied when it was needed and standard procedure was denial and reapply over and over.Eventually many applicants give up.I did. I don't hold a grudge,but the system is really *played* well by those who know how to play it.The working poor get the shaft as usual.

8. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Quote:You are not the only one. We have the right to life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness. We have the right to speak, but not to be heard. We do not have the right to be provided a house, food, health care, cars or anything else. And by we, I mean legal citizens.

THere was a story on the radio yesterday about the gov't comtemplating providing free Internet to those who cannot afford it. What the he**??? Since when is that a necessity that should be paid for by others? Simply infuriating.

I do not have a problem with people who really try to learn/speak English. It is a difficult language to learn as adults. I worked with a wonderful woman from Croatia; her English was pretty good after years of living here, but some expressions of hers were rather funny, like "oh, that make me so scary" (she meant, made me scared.) What I DO have a major issue with is those that have no intention of learning English and expect everything to be translated for them. Why oh why must we have Spanish on virtually all products, many commercials/ads, and signs? This is the United States. For now.

eta: by the way, that housing company did a terrible thing and should be held accountable. Of that there is no doubt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by