1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

All birds dead

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by japking, Nov 24, 2016.

1. japking

japking Just Hatched

Sep 22, 2016
    This morning I woke up to feed my Quail to find them all slaughtered. We have a neighbourhood cat that causes mayhem on the streets with other cats and now killing my Quails! That's all 18 quails and killing for fun! At least some of them layed eggs before they died, going to incubate them to start up the next generation. any suggestions on how to catch a cat without a gun? Thanks for reading

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Get a hav a hart type box trap and bait it with sardines. My suggestion is to make the removal permanent.

1 person likes this.
  3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Oh my! Sorry for your loss. I've found trapping feral cats and taking them to the animal shelter an effective way to deal with this issue. Not sure where you are from but many shelters will provide traps at no charge. Once you trap the cat you simply take trap and cat to the shelter. Some people suggest shooting these animals but I'm not fond of that method because you can have a wounded animal that may take some time to die. Not to mention if you have neighbors living close by a stray bullet might get you in a heap of trouble. And don't forget to predator proof your pens. If a cat can get in so can any wild animal. Again, sorry for your loss.

2 people like this.
  4. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Even if you get rid of those cats, your cat loving neighbors will just get more to replace them. You need to predator proof the area where your quail are at, to make sure that they will be unable to get in there and do it again.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    How did the cat get to your quail? That would be my first plan of action - make sure the cat or anything else can't get to them.

1 person likes this.
  6. japking

japking Just Hatched

Sep 22, 2016
    There's a lock on the bottom hutch that can be undone by flipping the hook out and pushing the door. I must of left the hook out and the cat has pushed the door open. It's my fault that I didn't check again last night but the would have been a big cat to be able to push the little door like it did.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Well now you know you must double check your gates and make it alot harder to open. You would also do well to run some electrified fence strands around the perimeter of your run.

Sorry you had to loose so many birds.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Could have been a coon too...I'd bet on coon rather than cat.

9. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    True - a coon would be perfectly capable of flipping that hook and getting in.

10. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    There are only a few categories of predators that kill that many birds at one time, seemingly for the fun of it. I don't recall cats being one of them. Raccoons are, but that is normally earlier in the year when it may be the adults are teaching the newbs how to kill stuff. They seem to kill a lot of them for practice. This time of year, not so much.

So that leaves dogs and weasels or one of the weasel cousins (minks, etc). If dogs could not get in, that leaves weasels, who are formidable little killers. Any holes of 1 inch or larger would permit a weasel to enter and they certainly would kill anything that moves, and seemingly for the fun of it. They don't eat much.....most likely they lick up any blood from bite wounds to the back of the neck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by