All Black Barred Rock

jlleghorn

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 3, 2011
We got 3 barred rock pullets at 2 days old back in April. While 2 of them are Barred Rocks with all of the normal markings, the 3rd one is all black with dark feet. The black feathers have a bluish tint to them in the sun much like a crow or blackbird. Is this usual for a barred rock or could this be a different breed? Thanks for any help.

Could be an Australorp (pink bottoms of feet) or Jersey Giant (yellow bottoms of feet). Black sex-links are black with reddish feathering around the neck and chest.

Last edited:
I hatched a batch of Barred Rocks and got this little girl out of there! Same kinda thing. She is solid black with clean black legs, black face, black beak and black pea comb. She's smaller than the others and her feathers have than green sheen in the sun as well.

93695_img_1055.jpg

93695_img_1057.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick responses. The other 3 chicks which we got at the same time are Rhode Islands so the Black Star makes some sense. I'll post a pic tomorrow. We ended up with one Rhode Island Rooster from the pullets...lol, but he is the sweetest one of them all. If it is a Black Star, are their eggs normally large? We're waiting for our first egg laying...can't wait!!

You can check out my BYC page and see if your all black ones look like my Black Stars.

If I'm correct (and someone please correct me if I'm not), the Black Star (or Black Sex Linked) are from a Barred Rock hen and a Rhode Island Red cockerel.

Mine are all black and have red/copper feathers around their necks (the color of RIRs).

And their legs and feet are dark like a green/gray color.

Hope this helps!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom