All Black Barred Rock

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jlleghorn, Aug 3, 2011.

1. jlleghorn

jlleghorn New Egg

Aug 3, 2011
    We got 3 barred rock pullets at 2 days old back in April. While 2 of them are Barred Rocks with all of the normal markings, the 3rd one is all black with dark feet. The black feathers have a bluish tint to them in the sun much like a crow or blackbird. Is this usual for a barred rock or could this be a different breed? Thanks for any help.

2. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    different breed. You should put up a pic.

3. WitksChicks

WitksChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Central CT
    Perhaps it is a Black Star (Black Sex Linked), which is a cross between a Rhode Island Red and a Barred Rock.

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Could be an Australorp (pink bottoms of feet) or Jersey Giant (yellow bottoms of feet). Black sex-links are black with reddish feathering around the neck and chest.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I hatched a batch of Barred Rocks and got this little girl out of there! Same kinda thing. She is solid black with clean black legs, black face, black beak and black pea comb. She's smaller than the others and her feathers have than green sheen in the sun as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Holy cow! That's gotta be it. The batch of eggs I hatched were part Barred rock and part RIR. I learned something today. Thank You!
    Quote:

7. jlleghorn

jlleghorn New Egg

Aug 3, 2011
    Thanks for the quick responses. The other 3 chicks which we got at the same time are Rhode Islands so the Black Star makes some sense. I'll post a pic tomorrow. We ended up with one Rhode Island Rooster from the pullets...lol, but he is the sweetest one of them all. If it is a Black Star, are their eggs normally large? We're waiting for our first egg laying...can't wait!!

8. WitksChicks

WitksChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Central CT
    You can check out my BYC page and see if your all black ones look like my Black Stars.

If I'm correct (and someone please correct me if I'm not), the Black Star (or Black Sex Linked) are from a Barred Rock hen and a Rhode Island Red cockerel.

Mine are all black and have red/copper feathers around their necks (the color of RIRs).

And their legs and feet are dark like a green/gray color.

Hope this helps!!

9. CC1892

CC1892 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    East Coast
    Quote:
    Wow, She is just gorgeous ! [​IMG]

10. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The BSL or Black Star will lay a nice egg, typically. They don't start right out with huge eggs, but given time and maturity, the size is nice, light brown, some with specs and reasonably large. The bird is quiet and business like, at least ours were.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by