All black chick?

EliHowland

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2021
Hatched these guys yesterday the hen is a barred rock and I’m not sure what the rooster is but he is white with a bit of black and I ended up with some interesting looking chicks one is black another is black and white and the rest all all light coloured. Why do some turn black and the others are white?
Pictures show the hens and the roosters and the chicks they made.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 6291E16C-8B67-463B-BE81-2B47C0F73C6D.jpeg
    6291E16C-8B67-463B-BE81-2B47C0F73C6D.jpeg
    586.2 KB · Views: 23
The black chicks are black because they didn’t inherit the white barring from their mother. Those solid black chicks are female. The white chicks either have the silver gene or the dominant white gene. Dominant white covers black. You got a bunch of differently colored chicks because the father of the chicks is a mix.

maybe the light ones are White Rocks? The black and white one is barred and I think it's a male because it has a head spot? Is that right? It might be a girl since the spot is small and narrow... I have no idea about this.
@Barred Rock Mama
The white chicks are not white rocks since neither of their parents are white rocks. The chick with the white face could be barred or it could just have silver leakage.

The black chicks are black because they didn’t inherit the white barring from their mother. Those solid black chicks are female. The white chicks either have the silver gene or the dominant white gene. Dominant white covers black. You got a bunch of differently colored chicks because the father of the chicks is a mix.
You obviously know a lot more than I do..

maybe the light ones are White Rocks? The black and white one is barred and I think it's a male because it has a head spot? Is that right? It might be a girl since the spot is small and narrow... I have no idea about this.
@Barred Rock Mama

They are beautiful, whatever they are. Please show pics of them once grown, Would love to see what they look like as adults.

Hatched these guys yesterday the hen is a barred rock and I’m not sure what the rooster is but he is white with a bit of black and I ended up with some interesting looking chicks one is black another is black and white and the rest all all light coloured. Why do some turn black and the others are white?
Pictures show the hens and the roosters and the chicks they made.
They are beautiful, whatever they are. Please show pics of them once grown, Would love to see what they look like as adults.
Agreed, @EliHowland do you have any updated pictures?

Back
Top Bottom