All BLACK chicken sexing.....

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HonaHelp, Feb 3, 2017.

1. HonaHelp

HonaHelp Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2017
    Ohio
    Hi,
    We recently moved to Ohio from Pa...have 3 acres---and decided to get chickens for the FIRST time. ANYWAY..I came here because..we got chicks...for pets and eggs.
    **Learning as we go.** No interest in breeding...or selling eggs. We bought Four 1 week old babies of svart honas. We love the DARTH VADER chickens. Had never heard of them. ALL black beauties. Problem is---they are 8 weeks old now--and we don't know whether we have boys or girls. Comb/wattle color means nothing as they are all black. Many pictures of the svart hona hens I have seen...show some of them having fairly large combs. I have read many articles on sexing other chickens, but--how can I begin to tell with these ones?? --or is it simply too early? Help.
    There are 4. One has a smaller comb...must be a girl?(2nd pic) The other 3 have close to the same combs, but--one of the chicks is much smaller.(in back-2nd pic) The largest chick is from another batch hatched...so--is not a sibling. It is 3 days older....and did try to crow twice.(1st pic) Is crowing 100% rooster at this age? The 3 with larger combs do jump around and have mini battles....roosters? The breeder will buy back any we do not want to keep plus a raising fee...so--we are not stuck with them IF they are roosters BUT--we are attached. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. whoop whoop

whoop whoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2015
    Rainbow Nation
    Welcome to BYC they are stunning chickens, what is their temperament like? maybe you can keep all of them - I have found if Roos' grow up together they are fine. But feel sorry for the hens if you don't have enough to go round as it were[​IMG]

3. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

A big welcome to BYC!

Gary from Idyllwild Ca here

Must. Finish. Coop.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It looks like redsoxs has given you a good place or two to help with identifying your birds' genders.

Thanks for sharing the photos and thanks for joining us!

6. HonaHelp

Feb 3, 2017
    Ohio
    Thank You... I just hate not knowing!! :D

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under HonaHelp [​IMG] Welcome!

Your birds are beautiful! Sorry, any gender guesses on my part would be just that, guesses. I also recommend posting on the link redsoxs has given you.

Best wishes to you and your flock.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

8. HonaHelp

Feb 3, 2017
    Ohio
    Thanks..... :)
    Very busy, informative site. I am enjoying perusing the articles.

Meeting with the breeder tomorrow...she is buying back the two largest birds....with the largest combs....
    .one of which has started trying to crow--- [​IMG]
    and growing us 2 hens....after she fills her current orders.
    May take a few months, ---Hopefully the smaller chick we have with a bit of a bigger comb IS a
    hen..and then we will have 4 girls.....time will tell. If that chick turns out to be a rooster...at least we will only have one.

Fun, Fun, Fun.... [​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I saw your post on the "what breed or gender is this," thread. sorry I don't have any idea, except to contact people who raise the breed. Pyxis (user name) is very good and raises
    Ayam Cemani - also solid black, he may me able to assist you.

1 person likes this.
  10. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

You have 3 cockerels, 1 pullet... if you just want pullets, best to trade back the 3... sorry...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by