all boys?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dorisdiana, Dec 30, 2013.

1. dorisdiana

dorisdiana Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2013
    San Antonio Texas
    Needing to know? I thought I had production reds, now I'm thinking speckled Sussex? Help? and I was told I had 2 pullets and a cockerel, but they keep fighting and they roost instead of nesting. They are all bald now from pecking at each other. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

?

2. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Those all look like males, but close ups of each of them would help.
    And yeah, they aren't Pro. reds, and they don't look like soeackled Sussex. They look like game birds with their slender build.

3. hope4rainbow

hope4rainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    They seem to be males depending on age. They look pretty young.

Also, girls roost!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  4. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Agreed!

Also, welcome to BYC! Glad to have you!

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I believe you have three mixed breed cockerels. How old are they?

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. I agree with the others that you have 3 cockerels. Either some strain of game fowl or crossbreds with a strong game background. Very likely their fighting will escalate.

7. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Not seeing Sussex in anything other than color, even that is a bit light. I'd think they were gamefowl of some sort (won't even try to guess which type or strain). As sourland said above, their fighting is probably gonna get even worse.

8. dorisdiana

dorisdiana Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2013
    San Antonio Texas
    [​IMG]

Thank you so much for responding, glad to be here and pretty new to chickens so I'm very excited but I seriously doubt I'm going to get any eggs from them if they all end up being boys. What do I do now? I was told they were about 5 weeks when I got them in November, so they should be 12 weeks soon. This is a closer picture, with a view of the legs.

9. hope4rainbow

hope4rainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    I said depending on age in case they had Leghorn heritage somewhere since pullets get combs early in that breed, but I'm fairly certain that is a no now.

Theyre pretty though!

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Put an ad for them on Craigslist or similar. Sell them, give them away, whatever. You could keep them another few months and butcher them, but I don't see them having an appreciable amount of meat.

next time you're ready to buy birds, feel free to post pics here before you purchase them. We usually can't sex day old chicks--some breeds, but not most. But at 5 weeks we can usually give you a pretty good idea of what gender the bird is. Might keep you from making another purchase you regret!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by