1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

all but one will roost

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Terrie Mac, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Terrie Mac

Terrie Mac Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    For 6 days I've been going to the coop at night and placing the hens on the roost to train them where to sleep. After 3 days all but one hen voluntarily roosted before I got there, but my little unsocial RIR remains below them and never seems a part of the rest. She's the smallest, smartest, and the nosiest but the most productive. She started laying last Saturday before all the rest and has daily provided an egg 6 out of 7 days. She's more of a loner I guess, doesn't go by the hen rules and does her own thing ...which is quite tasty have to say.
    My question: should I force the issue and tuck her onto the ledge with the others, or, should I make a comfy bed in the corner on the floor and just let her be?

ps-she laid a soft egg while roosting on high one night. Maybe she needs to be closer to the Ladie's Room?[​IMG]

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I'd try to force her to roost. I had a whole group of birds that wouldn't roost, and I let it slide. I have kicked myself for that for many years. The problem with them not roosting is that their butts get all caked up with poop because it doesn't fall away when they are parked on the ground like it does when they are on a roost. It looks terrible and can lead to skin integrity issues if you don't keep them bathed or clip their fluffy butt feathers. Save yourself a lot of future headaches by teaching this bird she needs to roost.

Good luck.

3. Terrie Mac

Terrie Mac Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Thanks for your response...I will continue to put her to bed each night until she figures it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by