All BYC Moms

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by kasey08, Sep 11, 2010.

1. kasey08

kasey08 Aunt Kasey's Farm

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    I looked one up and there isnt one yet. I would like to start a thread for BYC moms just starting and for ones that have been at it for years! I know I would to have somewhere to go if I have a question about a situation I'm having.

This is my story. My name is Kasey I'm 21 and married to my high school sweet heart Sammy [​IMG] We have a wonderful little girl thats 20 months her name is Devin. As you can see I am one that is starting out. We are trying to start potty training early and at first she was great with it but she hasnt done it since. So my question is do you know any tricks?

Btw expecting moms are welcome also!

2. Souperchicken

Souperchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    USA- Southwest
    My tip/trick would be to wait about 6 months. I've personally found it much easier to wait until they are about 2 1/2 almost 3 years old. At this age they can pull up and down their pants, reach the toilet and sink easier, grasp the concept easier, etc.
    I remember when I was potty training for the first time. My son was 18 months and wanted to get on the toilet - so I thought he was ready to potty train. I was completely frustrated after a week of him not making any progress. I tried again when he was 2 and again was completely frustrated. At about 3 years old he started showing interest on his own again and was much easier to train.
    I know there are people who train earlier and it works for them. Good Luck!

3. AmySue

AmySue Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    Cincinnati
    Hi Kasey [​IMG]

I have 4 "little ones" (20, 17, 13 & 10 yrs) and I have to say that potty training has been one of the easiest part of parenting for me. And all because of my mom's good advice... don't sweat it ~ kids that age have so few things in their life that they can control, but where and when they "go" can be one of them. If you stress about it, they will too. So, make it an all possitive thing. And let them take the lead. If they feel they are the one in control, you'll see better results.

We used 'potty charts' and that worked great. Make chart, hang it near the potty and then take her shopping for stickers. Explain that they are special potty stickers. Every time she sits on the pot and goes, she gets to put a sticker on the chart. I always made a huge deal out of it, (and even had smaller stickers for those times when they would really try, but didn't produce. I'm a softy!!) It's amazing how just putting a sticker on the chart can motivate them. I have 3 boys they took a little longer (each were 2 1/2 -3 yrs). My dd basically trained herself at 18 mos - but having sibs to watch & encourage her made it easier.

But kids are ready at different ages, so if you try and she seems to lose interest, put the idea on the back burner, and try again in a few weeks/months. She'll train when she's ready, and before that, you'll just frustrate yourself.

And keep in mind that some kids transition a lot easier than others. If you're calm and laid back about the whole process, you'll both have a much easier time of it. And assume that accidents may happen. Keep extra clothes in your car (I kept extra pants & undies in my purse) and if there's an accident, don't make a big deal out of it. But DO make a big deal when she does go in the potty.

But most of all, enjoy that precious little girl!!

Amy

Love your idea of a moms area... we can all use another mom to bounce things off of:)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  4. kasey08

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    Thanks for the advise [​IMG] and yes I know it takes time. While I was writing this Devin was dancing and fell, hit her head on the toy table. Poor thing cried so hard. but she is good now.

5. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Hello-

I have three ages 4, 5 and 7.

Potty training~ Let me tell you I have banged my head against this issue many of times for quite a number of years and we are just past it now. First---- Seriously try not to sweat it kids go at their own time to their own drum and trust me Mom is not going to hurry it along. I have introduced it slowly and spent the summer potty training (I remember really being conflicted) and then with the thought of pre-school my oldest got it in one week. With my middle and my youngest both ended up not going to 3 year old preschool for lack of potty training. Would go pee just fine but #2 was a problem. Frankly I think they just needed to have their own timing down and figure it out.

At 20 months if they are showing some readiness I would introduce it but I would not force it if they aren't ready! I have tried sticker charts, treats, taking away things and even time outs when the boys really did know what they were doing under the dining room table... instead of on the potty. Each child is different. For my 3rd what ended up working was I put trucks in the bathroom and if he went #2 he got one, then when he was going if he could go 3 times he got one, or if we went a week with no accidents he got to pick one. I think when the reward was past a certain point he still got an M&M. With my daughter she didn't need such rewards so each child is different. And my children know that even when we are out and about if they say they have to go potty you will find Mom running to the bathroom so they can go. Sucks until they get it down but once they do it is great not having to clean dirty pants every day!!!

Good luck

6. kasey08

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    lol yes i would love not having to change a poopy butt lol What about when they ask the question where do babies come from? I know its not any time soon but it scares me lol. I want her to know about those things before she finds out from a friend. These days they are learning sooner and sooner.

7. kasey08

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    what do you think about day care?

8. itsmyobsession

itsmyobsession Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Georgia
    Hi I just wanted to chime in. I am a mother of 6 kids. 4 I have had and 2 are my step kids, I have 4 boys and 2 girls and there is NEVER a dull moment. As far as potty training I can tell you from experience they are going to use the potty when THEY are good and ready to use it. Dont stress over it too much she wont be walking down the aisle in a diaper.

Day care....... my older kids didnt go I was fortunate enough to stay home with them. My youngest two did/do go and I have very mixed opinions about that subject.

9. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd continue to encourage her curiosity on the subject (come in with mom, buy some big girl panties, pull ups, etc) and usually it'll go from there on it's own at her own pace... we did better with ours (boy AND girl) having a seat that went on top of the regular one, and a little step stool than we ever did with the little potties. I don't know why, no one else had kids that balked at the plastic one, but ours did. Maybe it drove home the "big girl/boy" thing more? Not sure.

Natural curiosity and human nature to imitate and please others tends to be the biggest motivator for this in my experience... heck in a lot of things actually... eating at the table... manners... cleaning up room... lots of things.

Now a year from now if she still isn't there then I'd be asking advice, but until then I'd go with the flow... if you'll pardon the pun.

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Hi....I've got three...34, 31 and almost 29. Now I'm the grandma to 5 kids, 12, 10, two 3 1/2 year olds, one 21 month old and another due in december.

Since I keep the three youngest several days a week I got a second chance to go thru potty training. I agree that when they're ready is the easiet time to do it and there is no magic number....every kid is different. The main thing is don't make a big deal about it at her age. We really didn't start working with the 3 year olds until they were probably 28 months. The 21 month old sometimes want to set on the potty chair when she sees the older two doing it.....so we put her on it, she sets there and once in a blue moom she'll tinkle and we make a big deal of it. Most of the time tho she just sits there smiling. Right now we've decided we aren't even going to actively start trying until after the new one comes in december.

My own kids the youngest a girl was trained by 2, the oldest a boy was probably 2 1/2 and my middle one a boy....well, lets just say I was hoping he wouldn't go off to school in a diaper!! He didn't [​IMG]

Just don't make a big deal about it.....it'll happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by