All came out as plan until...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JohnsonHomestead, Aug 30, 2011.

1. JohnsonHomestead

JohnsonHomestead Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    Out in the sticks
    Just hatch my first batch of fuzzies from my flock of what I was thinking Production Reds and just "Big white" chickens. My only rooster of age is a production red. So expected odd looks out of the white eggs. All the white eggs produced chicks mainly white, with yellow shading with black specks. From reading my white ladies must be at least a leghorn cross, and I was thinking they were white rocks. For the most part the reds came out as expected, same pale rusty reddish brown, pale to little darker. Then my surprise. Here are shots of the parents, and offspring. And my little odd ball. Nickname chipmunk.
    [​IMG]
    My red roo and one of the lighter colored girls.
    [​IMG]
    The white "tanks" and a couple of the darker red girls.
    [​IMG]
    This is what the average color of all the red chicks.
    [​IMG]
    This is chipmunk. Where did this pattern and colors come from? lol it is a cutey.
    This is a link to a shot of the whites and some reds in my brooder box if you want to see. [​IMG] Think you have to be signed up for facebook. Will get a copy over here later on.
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f....222845041101091.67651.222303851155210&type=1

2. JohnsonHomestead

JohnsonHomestead Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    Out in the sticks
    here is a poor shot of its head, it looks like it is wearing black eyeliner.
    [​IMG]

3. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Lol...I know what you mean...I hatched a bunch of chicks early this spring and a few came out looking so different than expected. I got one with blue/grey legs that I had none from the parent stock.From my understanding genes "pop" up and things just show up. I loved some of the mixes so much, I kept them for layers [​IMG]
    Adorable chick [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by