All chicken owners PLEASE READ UPDATE page 3

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by yotetrapper, May 13, 2010.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I dont even like posting this, as I am ashamed. I am posting this for one reason only, to prevent someone else from doing the same stupid thing I did.

Three days ago, I tranfered a bunch of 8 week old chicks into a section of the big coop. There were two adults in this pen, but neither was bothering the chicks. The first two nights, I locked them in at night. Today, I worked 5pm to 1am. It rained this afternoon, and I checked on them as soon as the rain started, and all of the them had gone back into the coop out of the rain. They were having so much fun outside, I didnt want to lock them in, and since I knew they knew to go in out of the rain, I left them out in the fenced in run like I do all my other chickens. I went to work.

A bad storm blew in tonight. Driving home, I worried about the babies and if they had gone in, but I was sure they had. As soon as I got home, I checked on them, and every last one of them had stayed out. Here are the brutal statistics...

Dead on Arrival: 5
    Near-Dead: 8
    Very Critical: 6
    Critical: 6
    Should make it: 6

They are now all locked inside, under a heat lamp, but I fear it is too late for many of them. I feel so horrible, and sick inside, knowing this was all my fault, and so totally preventable.

So please, keep those chickens locked in the coops at night until they are grown. If you're not going to be home, lock them in anyways. Learn from my catastrophic mistake.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    [​IMG] So sorry for your loss! I had silkies that refused to go in when it rained and one of my roos became sick after that and never did recover [​IMG] I sure learned something by it though. Hope yours that are living continue to get better.

3. watersoflethe

watersoflethe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Corona/Mira Loma CA
    omg

i'm so sorry
    the poor babies

i hope most of them can recover [​IMG]

4. TinaK

TinaK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Australia
    thank you for sharing your experience. I am very sorry for your loss and your near losses. I hope that those who are not doing well survive... [​IMG]

Im a newbie to this and my first chickens are now 18 weeks old. I think I stopped locking them in at night at about 8 - 10 weeks of age... I suppose I was probably lucky that we had fine weather over that period...

As a person new to raising chicks, at 8 - 10 weeks... you almost think that the chicks have developed their feathers.... because they have lost their baby fuzz.. but that can be deceptive! because as you watch them grow you see new adult feathers developing for many weeks after.

Everywhere I read it said you can stop locking them in when they are fully feathered'... and I always thought as a newbie.. how do you know when they are fully feathered!?

I hope others learn from your experience.

5. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Sorry to hear about your loss. We all make mistakes and still do - I forgot to shut my chicken shed the other night although I have had chickens for about 15 years! Luckily the fox was not about that night!! It was good of you to share and it makes the rest of us more aware of what we are doing. [​IMG]

6. kaylakian

kaylakian Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2010
    northampton england
    [​IMG] im sorry for your loss and hope the rest will be ok im new to this to and i will remember to lock them in when they go outside

7. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Sorry for your loss.

Myself, I am a stickler for bed check. Everybody in.....or else.

8. LauraG

LauraG Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Upstate, NY
    Wow, I know that was hard to write but I appreciate the warning.

I would have definately thought/done the same thing. (given the option they would choose to go inside in bad weather)

Good to know they wont.

I did learn something, thank you & so sorry that happened to you

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] Sorry about your little ones, and thanks for writing about it to help others.

10. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    I'm so sorry for your chicks. As someone who is new to chickens, I probably would have made the same assumption that just because they knew to get in out of the rain in the afternoon they would go in on their own in the evening too. Please don't beat yourself up too much, we all do things sometimes even though we should know better. At least by sharing you have prevented at least one other person from making the same mistake.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by