All chicks arrrived safely! Pics!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ecocheapomom, May 19, 2010.

1. ecocheapomom

ecocheapomom Songster

Apr 30, 2009
    New Hampshire
    This is our first time ordering hatchery chicks and I am happy to say that all 12 were doing great when we picked them up this morning at the post office. We received three each of Barred Rocks, Dominique's, Delawares and Silver Laced Wyandottes. I can't tell the Barreds and the Dominques apart, though!
    [​IMG]

They are settling into our new brooder very nicely. DH built this with a plexi-glass window so our little ones can watch from the outside. It's true Chicken TV! There is a center board which we will remove once they need more room. The lid is hinged and covered with mesh. So far so good!
    [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Very nice brooder and congrats! What a nice idea having two sections in your brooder........very cool!

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    A way to tell the BRs from the Doms is to check their combs. The Barred Rocks will have a single combs (with points) and the Dominiques will have a flat, rose comb.

4. ecocheapomom

ecocheapomom Songster

Apr 30, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I wonder is there any way to tell the BR and the Dominique's apart as chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by