1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

All chicks died....I'm sick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Skyesrocket, May 13, 2008.

1. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I had a horrible accident with chicks today. I incubated 7 golden phoenix eggs and one larger egg for a friend. All except for one hatched over night. The unhatched egg was still a yoke.
    Anyway I lowered the temp on the still air incubator and left them in it to dry off. My friend was coming tomorrow to pick them up. Later on this afternoon I cleaned the incubater out and put paper towels down inside and put the chicks back in. They all looked good. Active and straight legs and feet. I checked the temp and everything looked good.
    I went out and cleaned horse stalls, came back in and looked through the little windows and all of the chicks were laying flat on their sides. I checked the temp and it was 118 degrees!
    I cooked the poor little things. I'm just sick to my stomach over it. I pulled the top off and 2 were moving a little, the larger chick and one of the little phoenixes. The phoenix died, but the larger chick survived. It took a couple of hours for it to get back up on it's feet. I gave it some water.
    I don't know what happened. Maybe a power surge? I never had a problem with that incubator before.

2. sara

sara Title Needed Here

That's awful! I'm so sorry.

You shouldn't have had to lower the temp after they hatched though, I leave my chicks in until the hatch is totally complete, and keep the temp the same, take them out and put them in the brooder. I find if I leave it alone everytime I fire it up it goes to the exact same temperature.

Again I am so sorry this happened to you.

3. Skyesrocket

Mar 20, 2008
    Thanks, Sara,
    The hatch was complete. I lowered the temp some because I wasn't setting up a brooder for them. I was going to leave them in the incubator until my friend came tomorrow to pick them up.
    I don't know what happened. I have used this incubator before with no problems.

4. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I'm sorry.
    I've unintentionally killed chicks before, and I know that sick feeling.

It could have been a surge, but really who knows. A surge protector would help next time.

5. fowlwoman1

fowlwoman1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Wenatchee, WA
    I am really sorry for your loss....[​IMG]

6. poulet

poulet Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    :aww that is horrible poor you .

7. Skyesrocket

Mar 20, 2008
    Thanks for your replies. I put the lone survivor under a silkie hen that has eggs hatching. She had 2 showgirls already hatched so the age is the same. I snuck it under her in the middle of the night last night.
    I figured after what that little chick went through that it deserved to have a real mom. I checked it several times today and it seems to have no ill effects. I'm surprised because it was just barely moving when I found it and took hours to recover from the excessive heat.
    I still don't know for sure how the heat climbed that high that fast. But I will be using a surge protector from now on.

8. Chicken Cluck

Chicken Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Wow. I'm sorry. Things happen........ well good thing one survived!

9. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I'm so sorry. Don't get too down on yourself. You didn't mean to do that. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by