All Chicks Not Created Equal??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BC Chickens, Apr 18, 2011.

1. BC Chickens

BC Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    We're in Day 4 of watching our new chicks (Golden Comets) grow. We had ordered them from a feed store and our 6 were in with dozens of Comets that had just come in. On the first day, aside from some marking differences, they all pretty much looked alike. But now here on day 4, 2 of them have major wing feathers coming in, 2 are at the little stubby feather stage and 2 really don't have any feathers starting at all. Since these are our first ever chicks, I was wondering if some just develop faster than others or if they maybe weren't all hatched on the same day and some might be a day or two (or more) older than the others. Any of you more chicken experienced folks know for sure? [​IMG]

2. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I know our batch of chicks last year had 50 chicks and they all feathered out at different times they were cornish X though now comets. I am trying comets this year though so we will see.

3. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Ours all feather in at different rates as well. But I guess it is possible that they may be a day older or younger.

4. BC Chickens

BC Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    Thanks folks! This actually will make it easier to tell them apart since now they really look different from one another! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by