ALL cockerels

liveTHEdream

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 21, 2013
Ok here is a good one. I put 96 eggs in the bater. Hatched out 82. Each week I tried to sex them. Well It has been 12 weeks. Here is the bad part. I did not get a pulet ONE!!! Is there any why some one can breed chickens to just get one sex?

My last hatch was 8 out of 12 shipped eggs,I got 7 out of 8 pulets. I have hatched eggs for A few years now and have never got all cockerels.

What is every ones thoughts?

Last edited:
Hopefully they're meat birds.
ep.gif

That's amazing.
Perhaps it's like some people have all girls or all boys.
My brother-in law has 7 girls - no boys, yet was from a family of 10 boys and only one girl.

I am sure people think I am nuts. My 70+ year old nabber could not be leave it. I have hatched out few hundred so far for him and hes eggs always gets close to a 50% count.

Yes we have been eating one or two of them every 2 days.

what kind of chickens are they? i was a a feed store once, and they had a box of rooster chicks, I looked in and saw a black one, it had a comb, but I said "I don't think that is a rooster." I bought her home, she was a female minorca ended up having a fold over comb and laid beautiful white eggs.

I also heard of a lady in here who thought she had all male pilgrim geese because they were white with blue eyes. she started to process them and saw they had egg sacks with eggs inside, she realized they were female embden geese because they are white with blue eyes.
here is my female embden goose.

Have you ever thought about switching to some of the autosexing breeds like Cream Legbars and Bielefelders? With autosexing breeds you can tell the sex of the chick as soon as its down dries in the incubator.

It may sound cruel but the the Cream Legbar was created at a time in the UK when feed was so expensive that it was necessary to cull the boys at hatching time. There simply was not enough feed in the UK at that time to grow them out. I am not advocating doing that extreme, but at least you would know early on and make arrangements to re-home them while they are still cute and easily re-homed.

With the Bielefelders, the boys will grow quickly and bid and so are a true dual-purpose breed. There are other auto-sexing breeds such as Rhodebars and Fifty Five Hens. But I don't have any experience with those breeds.

what kind of chickens are they? i was a a feed store once, and they had a box of rooster chicks, I looked in and saw a black one, it had a comb, but I said "I don't think that is a rooster." I bought her home, she was a female minorca ended up having a fold over comb and laid beautiful white eggs.
I love Minorcas. I had White Minorcas and they are very prolific layers of huge eggs.
Someone saw a picture of my Ancona hens and thought they were roosters because of the big comb.

The eggs where barred chickens with feathered legs. Looked to me to be Cuckoo Marans. They are very nice looking cockerals. Got big fast with good breast,

Back
Top Bottom