All cooped up....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ladybug99, Dec 29, 2010.

1. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    We got slammed here in central NJ this weekend with about 31/2 feet of snow.. my poor girls are literally all cooped up because we just can't dig out thier run.. the snow drifts in the run are about 6 feet tall. The ladies are used to being outside all daylong. Our first priority this weekend is to dig them out, but till then we can't due to both of us working full time ( some day we will be able to quit working and raise chickens full time LOL)

I have 11 ladies and one roo, the coop is 10 X 8. They only seem a little annoyed when I come to see them, stand by the pop door hoping it will open, giving me the good olde stink eye..... I have been offering treats such as whole pumpkins and hanging cabbages so they not get bored. I am a first time chicken keeper is there anything I should look for as to signs of stress...they are all very healthy and once offered thier treats seem pretty happy.. the coop is a comfortable 45 degrees inside with several inches of pine shavings on the floor.

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  2. dawny2u2

dawny2u2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Winston, MT
    Sounds to me like you are doing everything right. I am only on my second winter with chickens, and have found they won't go out in the snow even if they could. They don't seem to like snow. I have hung cabbages (that went fast) and put in different height roosts, and just cross my fingers that it thaws out soon. I always tell them winter is tough on everyone. Good luck shovelling out, thats ALOT of snow! We're supposed to get hit here in Montana, then 10 below.... winter is tought for everyone!

3. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    You can put a bail of hay in the coop for them to kick around and eat, kinda like being outside kicking throught the leaves for treats. I then throw some sun flower seeds in the hay and they stay busy looking for them.

4. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    i know the feeling of feeling cooped up!!! i had to handle our snow right away or it would be awful just trying to get out to the coop itself.[​IMG] now that the snow has settled in, its so darn heavy. spring and summer where are you? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  5. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    I am in Monroe NJ.. I grew up in Ct!!! Our coop is about 200 feet away from the house.... I did thow some scratch down this morning as the coop floor was well yucky and they went crazy scratching away not the floor is all nice and fluffy... but I love the idea of getting a bale of hay for them....a lot of snow melted so they will definately get out on Saturday morning....they still give me the stink eye... they crack me up LOL [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by