All detached yolks?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FriAndRoo, Nov 3, 2015.

1. FriAndRoo

FriAndRoo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2015
    Texas
    One of my new hens decided to go broody so we let her sit on a clutch of eggs on the 25th of October. We just went out and candled few of them, and it looks like all of them had detached yolks? I don't know how 5 out of 5 yolks could be detached... We didn't shake them or abuse them and mama hen seems to just want to sit around all day so I can't imagine she disturbed them much... By my count its day 11 should I take out these eggs?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  2. IceAngel

IceAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2013
  3. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Are they developing? If not, they are simply duds and you should throw the eggs out, carefully! Dont want rotten eggs smell all over the place!

Cheers!;)

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    The yolk should move around in the egg when you turn it around. Did you see any veins/embryos in the eggs when you candled? If not (and they should be obvious at day 11), I'd pitch them.

Good luck!

5. FriAndRoo

FriAndRoo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2015
    Texas

hard to say, I have a very bright light but can't see through them terribly well. Some of them I don't think you're doing anything some of them look like they may have started to develop, but I don't see any movement and they look awfully small for a day 11

6. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Sounds like they are all duds. By day 11, they should be moving around and quite developed! Use a light from a cell phone, they are bright!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by