All Different Kinds of Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by weebles&wobblesmom, Apr 28, 2011.

1. weebles&wobblesmom

weebles&wobblesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ok. I am totally new to raising chicks. A month ago, I got a Pekin duckling from the farm store I work at because they didn't think it was going to live (guess what it did........[​IMG] ) My husband finally decided to let me order some chicks. I ordered 5 Barred Rock pullets, 1 cockeral and another Pekin duckling.

We ended up with 16 Bantums and 5 Polish something or others that the people who ordered them never came to pick them up, so I bought them. They had to be gone before closing and nobody wanted them, so me being the sucker I am...[​IMG]

So far they all seem to be getting along great, but is there anything I should know about any of these different breeds?

Oh and I brought home 2 Cornish Cross that, again, didn't look like they were gonna live. 1 has A LOT of it's feathers plucked off but they are doing just fine.

We don't want to go through the whole sloughter thing with the Cornish and I was told when they get a certain size, they HAVE to be eaten. Is this true?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisedom.

2. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
  3. weebles&wobblesmom

weebles&wobblesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Thanks. these guys are only 2 days old though and I saw him getting picked on by the other cornish that he came in with. He was also covered in poo, so he was plucking himself til I gave him a "sponge bath". Other than the feathers being pulled out, it looks good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by