All doing well so far!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by twinmom+1VT, May 14, 2010.

1. twinmom+1VT

twinmom+1VT Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2010
    Vermont
    We got our first chicks last week. We got 6 (1 each - BA, GC, BO, BR and 2 EEs). My husband built a great brooding box and right now they're living in our bathroom. They've been so easy to care for, I'm cleaning out their food and water 2x a day. I try to handle them at night when I clean them and I also hand feed them for a few minutes then as well. They're skittish when I first open the brooder but all look to my hand for the food. What are some other ways to make them a little more social? We're really loving our chicken experience so far and can't believe how fast they're growing, I feel like every time I look at them they have more feathers (especially the EEs)!

2. Brahmamama4

Brahmamama4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    Washington
    It sounds like you're doing a great job [​IMG] As days go by just make sure you're spending time with them a little each day so they get used to you. They will love you before you know it and as they get older and can have treats they will learn you're the one who brings them. Then they will absolutely LOVE you! It took my chicks a while to warm up. but they do come around. Now one of my 6 week olds jumps into my lap everytime I sit down with her and she snugges into my arms [​IMG] They're so much fun, congrats! You're being a great chicken mommy!

3. Foleys

Foleys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    Morning twinmom+1VT,
    I am a new chicken mom also, but I did not get mine as babies they chose us when they cam pecking on our door last sunday and we decided to keep them. In wich I am so glad we did. Our experience has been awsome for us as well. We have as some one here tell me either PR's, or RIR's, or RSL's. we have 4 of them that are about 10-12 weeks old and one EE as some on here tell me he is a roo and is full grown. Our 4 lil one have been growing alot to and are now getting more black in their freathers.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Talk to them as you feed them from your hand, and handle them as much as possible........sounds like you're already doing a great job at it! I always get day old chicks from the hatchery and do my best to tame them because they're so much more enjoyable!

5. Mama&thePeeps

Mama&thePeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Tennessee
    They'll warm up to you. Give them lots of attention.

6. nelgkel

nelgkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    [​IMG] congrats on your chickies [​IMG]
    [​IMG] you will love it here everyone is so helpful [​IMG]

I agree with was has been said so far...talk to them a LOT, let them hear all the house noises and if you are in warm weather open the windows so they can hear all the outdoor noises and feed them out of your hand and before long they will be running to your hand whether you have food or not...

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by