1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

All eggs failed to hatch...what to do with hen?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Navi723, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Navi723

Navi723 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    Bethany, Oklahoma
    It's my first time natural hatching eggs, and I didn't separate the hen from the rest of the flock. She was edged out of her nest several times and picked another nest, abandoning her eggs several times, and one time I found them (within the three day pre-hatch window) stone cold. All of that to say, I'm guessing that's why they didn't hatch. Another hen successfully hatched her three eggs.

I left the eggs under her until today, the 26th day, and I did a float test and they floated, but didn't move. I give up. But what do I do with my hen who still thinks she needs to hatch eggs? Do I just break her broodiness like normal, or would it be okay to put another couple of eggs under her (while she's separated from the flock? Is another 21 days too long for her to be broody... will it affect her health?

Thanks for any advice!

2. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    If she is serious about being broody she will certainly do it and it is safe for her to try again. Just make sure she eats and drinks. I personally would not go three rounds though. I did that once and it completely changed the personality of my hen. It was like she thought it was my fault that her eggs wouldn't hatch. I made her quit and after that I would actually catch her sneaking,yes sneaking up behind to bite me. She would actually look at my face to make sure it was me before she attacked and then ran off laughing! That is a true story and not exaggerated!

3. Navi723

Navi723 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    Bethany, Oklahoma
    Okay, that's just plain funny! I don't need any more chicks, but this hen is very serious about her broodiness. I have to break her of it every two weeks or so. It would be nice having her mind on chicks rather than imaginary eggs.

Thanks!

4. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    No problem! I hope it works out better now that she's separated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by