All Eggs in one box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Carebear5, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Carebear5

Carebear5 Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2010
    My girls use to lay in about half the boxes in their coop. Now, they all lay in one box ONLY. I have 7 chickens laying with 5 boxes to choose from. I collect 7 eggs a day from the same box. Convenient for me, but is there anything wrong with this? I thought about closing off that box and seeing what they'd do. Anyone think it would make some girls mad and not lay?

2. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Mine aren't laying yet, but everything I've read here says they often have a favorite box they all go to and if denied, they just lay them anyplace, not necessarily in another nest box. And, this should bump you so maybe somebody with more experience will answer.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Chickens naturally want to lay where others have laid. Some of mine have particular nestboxes they like and the others will follow. If one box is occupied, they will lay in another one or wait.

4. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    Try putting some fake eggs in the other boxes, maybe that will encourage it. I really don't think it matters though, if they wanted to lay in the other boxes they would. [​IMG]

5. sunnysongbird

sunnysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Use golfballs by putting two golfballs in each nest. I read it works very well [​IMG] my chickens aren't old enough to lay, but I've heard many many use this trick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by