all eggs in one box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Moondog, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Moondog

Moondog New Egg

Feb 6, 2014
    North Mississippi
    I have a coop with 12 nesting boxes my chickens are 7 months old. I have 10 silver laced wineadots one red sex link and one silve laced rooster. All my hens lay in one box I get 10 to 11 eggs a day all in one box. My chickens free range i let them out in the morning and when they need to lay they go back in the hen house and lay in the one box then go back outside. It is not a problem just wondering why they all use the same box.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    The reason is the same reason that using "bait eggs" helps to encourage new layers to lay in the desired location (the nest box) - the presence of other eggs indicates to the next hen to come along that the location in question is a safe place to lay her egg - it is safe because someone else has already used it, giving it the stamp of approval for those that come along behind her.

3. WeBeCluckin

WeBeCluckin Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    Spokane Wa
    I have 6 nest boxes available to my girls and they usually all lay in the same box too. I never really questioned it. Kinda thought maybe chickens are smarter than we give em credit for and they were really trying to wait out who would get broody first and get someone else to hatch her chicks! I was liking the idea that maybe it's because they appreciate us as much as we appreciate them and wanted to make egg collecting easier! Oh my little dream world...:weee

4. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    Do an experiment. Put a couple fake-eggs in a different nest box and see what happens over the next couple days :)

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I keep golf balls in all 4 nests in my main coop to help break the cycle of them all wanting to lay in one nest...and minimize the bitching and moaning if that one favored nest is occupied at a time of need, it seems to work most the time.

Am experimenting with removing some of the golf balls to see if that changes any patterns.

In my junior coop, the first layer wouldn't use the nest until I removed the golf balls.

6. Michelle2639

Michelle2639 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2014
    Southern Michigan
    That's a good idea. I'm going to have to try that too. I don't really care if they lay all in one box but yes, the squawking and carrying on that happens when a box is occupied is enough to make you crazy.

7. Moondog

Moondog New Egg

Feb 6, 2014
    North Mississippi
    Thanks for all the ideas I think I will do some experimenting also

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I've found observing these birds and their behavior to be very enjoyable, but then I am inclined to analyze things to the Nth degree, have the time to do so and have learned to be patient and taking time to make many observations before changing things...and starting the observation process over again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by