all genetic genius' look here :)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by crysmom, Sep 28, 2007.

1. crysmom

crysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    If i have white and partridge chanteclers in the same flock what will mixing the colors produce? all white? all partridge ? some of each? or a different result all together.

I've searched for the answer but haven't been able to come up with an answer

thanks

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  2. crysmom

Sep 24, 2007
    I had to change the title I need to know if I will have to seperate the whites and partridges to keep the breed true.

anyone?

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Well...I am in NO WAY an expert....but, if you want pure breeds...you will have to seperate them. Otherwise...you should come up with some pretty interesting mixes!

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They will be pure Chanteclers, but perhaps not standard colors, is all. What colors you'll get, I don't know, though. I am not a genetic genius, by a long shot, though. This is what I was told by someone who knows more than I when I asked about breeding Buff Orpingtons to Blue Orpingtons.

5. Bantammad

Bantammad Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2007
    Wales UK
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2007
  6. crysmom

Sep 24, 2007
    Quote:okay that makes sense because there are buff chanteclers but they aren't a recognized standard color

7. crysmom

Sep 24, 2007
    Quote:this is very interesting

If I think of a partridge as "red" then breeding the two together would make a combo not either red or white

8. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Okay I'll take a stab at this. Normally it makes a difference if your birds are dominant or recessive whites. Dominate whites will leak some black in the white. I'm going to pretend that your Chanteclers are recessive white. You will probably get grey muddy splotchy color ranging from black to light brown with a visable partridge pattern and black tails, but not the even background color of the original partridges. The females will tend to be darker than the males but won't be a true sex-link color pattern. If they are show birds don't do it.

Edited to add: Partridge is a brown color.

9. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    First , I don't know the answer...lol

Second you might want to send an e-mail and ask at Sandhill preservation. I say that because I have heard that the gentleman in charge really knows his poultry and I see they have several colors of Chanteclers in their breed lists.

I have red Chanteclers and was thinking of adding white and toyed with the idea of getting them from Sandhill.

Julie [​IMG]

10. wclawrence

wclawrence Chillin' With My Peeps

I know the answer, partly.

The F1 crosses will not be white. They are recessive whites. But they will not necessarily be Partridge, either. That depends on what the recessive white is "covering" in the White Chanteclers.

If the white is covering partridge, then you will get all partridge in the F1 cross, and 1/4 white in the F2 cross.

If they are silver partridge, then it depends on which way you breed them. If you breed a red rooster to silver hens, you get red pullets and mixedd roosters....and vice versa.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by