1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

All gone....starting over seems like so much!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kmwright, Mar 17, 2011.

1. kmwright

kmwright Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Winters, CA
    Dog got my other 3 today. I don't know how. My husband searched the entrance to the run/coop and it was all tight. I have NO idea how this happened. My eyes are puffy and sore from crying, I lost my Lion, the one left from my original flock and I just loved her. [​IMG]

I really want to start again with new babies, but I'm scared. All in all, I've lost 9 and I don't know if I could handle losing any more. Also need to figure out what to do with the dog....he's gotten at them twice now, and I doubt he'll stop trying. I don't want to get rid of him, but I love my chickens and can't imagine not having any more.

Sigh. This is a bad night.

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Well it sounds like your gunna have to choose between the chickens or the dog. Unless you can figure out a way to dog-proof your pen. Some dogs just don't learn, and once they have killed once they are very likely to do it again.

3. dragon86

dragon86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    west frankfort, il
    it may sound cruel but if u tie a dead chicken on his coaller were he cant get it and leave it on for about a week it usally breaks dogs of killing chickens. sorry to hear about u losing ur chickens

4. Raven81

Raven81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
    Quote:my grandad has always said this method works. thankfully i have never had to do this.
    my two blue heelers do run at the chickens sometimes when they are in the garden but usually they dont care ( they know that they arent allowed in the garden ) & the young chickens actually peck at the dogs tails sometimes.
    but im lucky that my dogs dont have that drive when i first introduce them to something i let them know that they are not a toy. & they know the diff between a wild animal ( possum etc ) & a pet cat.

5. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Bless your heart, I know how bad you hurt. I'm soo sorry! [​IMG]

I have heard that about attaching a dead chicken but would like to hear from someone who this actually worked for. Dogs are not really prone to shrink from something dead, decaying, smelly or gross. In fact they seem to like those things. Hummmm, Don't know.

Try reinforcing the coop, OVERDO it! Use heavier guage wire, add electric wire around the outside, reattach all the edges and seams. Put automatic closers and catches on the door. Then build a containment area for the dog with the same caution. Go about it as if both the chickens and the dog have to be contained and could use either enclosure. If both are dog proof, the only way to have an accident is for both systems to fail, the chances of it happening are slimmer. People often assume that the dog should run loose and the chickens should be locked up. I too, have a chicken-killing dog and he has a pen as well as the chickens. They both get to freerange, only at different tmes and usually with supervision.

6. Raven81

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
    i have read a post on here where they did tie the chicken to the dog & came home & the dog was lying in the back yard & wouldnt move, the dog wouldnt move coz he had buried the chook attached to its collar. i will try find it now. i couldnt find it.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  7. edgroger

edgroger Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2011
    Quote:Did you mean this posts from a different forum raven? Help! My dog killed one of my chickens!

I'm sorry for your loss kmwright [​IMG] [​IMG]

But to me from the posts read from the link, the method sounds legit....i think [​IMG]

8. Raven81

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
    Quote:Did you mean this posts from a different forum raven? Help! My dog killed one of my chickens!

I'm sorry for your loss kmwright [​IMG] [​IMG]

But to me from the posts read from the link, the method sounds legit....i think [​IMG]

no it wasnt that story it was one that came from a postal delivery person & the dog buried it after it was tyed to them.

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:x2

10. AMChandler

AMChandler Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2010
    Missouri
    I'm so sorry for your loss!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by