All Hatchers!!! When do you open the vent on the bator..........

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jerseygirl1, Jan 29, 2011.

1. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Just curious when incubating, when everyone opens (or doesn't) the vent on their incubators and why?
    Thanks

2. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG]

I've had both vents out of my LG the whole time. But this is our first hatching.

THankx and good luck!! [​IMG]

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I have a home-made so had to make my own vents. I believe most people with commercial incubators open the vents at lockdown but hopefully someone will correct that if I'm wrong. They need plenty of ventilation to hatch which is the reason for opening the vent(s).

4. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Depending on the bator... On my Brinsea Octagon 20 I keep it about half way till lockdown then I adjust the vent to the desired humidity is reached...

On my Hova, I put the plugs in at lockdown and remove as needed to reach my ideal humidity.

5. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    I'm at high altitude, so I never use the vent plugs.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I never use them....they're always open.

7. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    I use them when the first chick is fully out of the egg...The humidity goes down faster when there open, so I only open them the last second.

8. Fluffy-Butt-Farms

Fluffy-Butt-Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Central Florida
    on my hova with fan, i never open the vents. seems if i do, it's even harder then it already is to keep humidity up. on the old lg i had, i opened the vents on lockdown. trying an lg again that was just given to me, and the vents are open, but i may close them up if this hatch doesnt work. my hatches in the hova are usually 90-100 percent.

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I opened them at lockdown in my hovabators
    I had it 1/4 open the whole time in my brinsea 40 this last time and 3/4 at lockdown-fully when they started hatching:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by